Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hdd?

Poster
    What would supersede in practicality: 2 x 120GB SATA/150 HDDs (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9) or 2 x 160GB ATA/133 HDDs (Samsung SpinPoint P Series). Evident is the fact that it is a choice of utmost difficulty - as both are competitively priced in similarity.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    go sata mate 30% faster, and there isnt a lot of diff in the size , 240 gig is enough for most ppl

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by delphin460@29 April 2004 - 11:03
    go sata mate 30% faster, and there isnt a lot of diff in the size , 240 gig is enough for most ppl
    No way!

A SATA doesn't perform 30% faster than ATA/133 or even ATA/100.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    But surely ATA's days are outnumbered? I've read that there aren't much speed benefits presently, but perhaps in the future?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    But if you are going to decide which drive to choose based on performance then knowing that you won't see 30% better is important now.

As for the future... We can choose any drive when that time comes.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    One benefit to SATA that you will see right away is the reduction in cable clutter.
    Should you choose that route make sure your PSU has the proper connectors ( although there may be adaptors available...).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    adding to what VB said:

the reason SATA will never reach its theoretical throughput now is because it is running through the PCI bus, whereas ATA is running separate (i believe)

if i am correct, you could still (in theorey) use a raptor on standard ATA (with the help of an adaptor of sorts)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Personally,I would go with the samsung drives (I'm a bit partial to them though as I have one now).I am too paranoid to use any Maxtor drive.I have heard too many bad stories about them.I know I shouldn't dislike them just because they had a bad run of drives but I guess I am just paranoid.
    Anyway,as was stated above.SATA is not 30% faster so why bother? I have a regular ATA133 drive now,have had it for over a year and have had absolutely no problems what so ever *knocks on wood,knock knock knock*.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by johnboy27@29 April 2004 - 18:22
    Personally,I would go with the samsung drives (I'm a bit partial to them though as I have one now).I am too paranoid to use any Maxtor drive.I have heard too many bad stories about them.I know I shouldn't dislike them just because they had a bad run of drives but I guess I am just paranoid.
    Anyway,as was stated above.SATA is not 30% faster so why bother? I have a regular ATA133 drive now,have had it for over a year and have had absolutely no problems what so ever *knocks on wood,knock knock knock*.
    im also not to fond of maxtor drives, becuase of my current drive. The ball bearings for the motor are dry or something like that, so usually (mostly when its cold) when my computer starts up the drive is really loud, itmakes a sort of grinding noise. Im sure the drive will fail some time soon i make daily backups of my important info from the second partition onto my old computer's 20gb hard drive (also from maxtor) which is rather noisy...my drive runs really slow at times too, it will sometimes take a very long time to load windows, and i dont have much fragmentation so that isnt teh problem. i think it runs slower becuase of the bad bearings, maybe like 6000rpm instead of 7200?

anyway, i recomend seagate, my friend has one and its been very reliable, its a 120gb, he just bought it a few months ago. very quiet and fast!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@29 April 2004 - 17:27
    anyway, i recomend seagate, my friend has one and its been very reliable, its a 120gb, he just bought it a few months ago. very quiet and fast!
    I have to agree. I love those Seagate drives. Absolutely silent.

Click here: 120GB Barracuda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast