Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virus Problem

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I finally put this one to bed (I hope). It looks like this was caused by a few worms (variances of the Gaobot and Sasser worms) I dlded and ran the Symantec Gaobot removal tool, this didn't find anything but NAV started working normally again. As soon as Auto protect was working it started finding a bunch more infections-these with the Sasser worm so I then had to download and run the Sasser worm removal tool. I then updated the virus definitions using their "manual" update (the .exe file/not live update), ran this and it found about 19 infected files and cleaned most of them, I deleted the other files.
    Finally, there were a few startup processes that were still going-namely a microsoft.exe that should not be there. Once I manually deleted the bad files from the C://Windows/System32 folder, and deleted the registry keys they created, it works OK. It was a battle but I think it's finally over.
    Thanks again for your help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Oh and finally-get the darn Windows security updates. Even as I was cleaning everything out and finally got online-there were files being put on my machine. NAV was catching them, but there were about 2 or 3 infected files found in the span of about a half hour. I installed the Windows patches and so far-nothing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12