Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea For The Board?

kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Rip The Jacker@4 May 2004 - 18:56
    @nigel123
    Excellent post.

I think I'm done in this thread, you called our admin an idiot about 2 weeks ago. Either you forget often, or your a lair.
    Often my posts are spastic and cheaply written.

I do admit to mistakes. And I guess my mistake here was forgetting I called rookie an idiot. But, when I'm called a bitch, doesn't really help.. ya know?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #52
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by rookiecrd1@5 May 2004 - 01:02

The mods here are great. They are all dedicated individuals whom spend hours a day making sure things are running smoothly. The suggestion to dump the mod team and get all new mods is simply a very bad one. Doing so would set this forum back quite a bit. It would be nearly impossible to find new mods considering most would probably quit after the first week, or slack off and not do their job. Moderating a forum of this size is a lot more work then most of you think. It is probably more a curse then a priviledge.
    What would buffy do?

Wiz.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #53
    Site Owner
    Now hold up.

I do recall balaam stating that this server costs nothing. And even if a company would pay for it themselves, it is true that the banner would be more than sufficient.
    Kab, you are welcome to have your own opinion of me. I'm not going to dispute that, however you don't know me and I don't know you either. As for the server though it is far more then Nothing (unless you consider $250-$400 a month nothing). The google banner brings in no more then 10% of this per month, the brideby about 5% of this.

Now this leaves me with about $3000 per year to pay out of my pocket to keep this thing running. Would you like to chip in? You wanna pay the server costs? I'll even make you an admin :-)

Brian

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #54
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Originally posted by kAb+5 May 2004 - 03:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kAb @ 5 May 2004 - 03:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@4 May 2004 - 18:51
    I don’t want to sound too patronising kAb but I don’t think you have the slightest idea what it means to finance, run and coordinate a, for you, totally free discussion board of this size. I am not sure, but I think your are still a minor, and probably live off your parents, who probably pay the costs of your Internet connection for you. I do believe though that you have talent, you should put every effort into cultivating it. Then maybe in years to come you will reflect on the times you have spent here and realise, what a fool you made of yourself.

@ as far as you sig is concerned, a saying, " You catch more flies with syrup than with vinegar."
    Now hold up.

I do recall balaam stating that this server costs nothing. And even if a company would pay for it themselves, it is true that the banner would be more than sufficient.

And why on EARTH would I reflect on the times I spent here and think I made a fool of myself? I KNOW I make a fool of myself.

Do I really CARE?

No. I have always posted as an enjoyment. Never a priority, never a mood dampener.

This is recreational, it&#39;s just sad to see it go to the shitter. [/b][/quote]
    i read post of people claiming everything kAb, really don&#39;t believe everything you read. Every gig datatraffic costs money, and we generate pretty much believe me.
    Also the hardware for a dedicated server isn&#39;t for free, in the past we worked with people hosting us for free. That didn&#39;t work out very well (like TRX & co), i&#39;m glad we have a very stable host.
    The board is hardly down the past months. Why denie them to earn a little fee back in return to give us a smoothly running board. And even if they make a little money out of it (wich is not the case, i&#39;m pretty sure of that)... it&#39;s still free for us the users.

I agree on this has to be recreational, but that has to be for the admin and mods too. Although some people claim diffrent the team does everything to be fair and square to all, and takes every action because we think that&#39;s in the best interest of the whole community. I agree that somethings ain&#39;t working out well. Like the antispam script, but when it was uploaded it was to protect the board for people who tried running spamscripts. It is kinda backfiring on the board now so i hope it will be gone as soon as possible. And i know that you hate the current skins and would almost do a kill to get the old one back. Even that is still on the agenda in team chat. Just give it time. We know we ain&#39;t perfect, but it&#39;s impossible to do everything on demand because of a lot of reasons mentioned a lot of times.

Fact is that with a lot of posts you made lately and the text you have now in the sig you ain&#39;t contributing much to the recreational atmosphere we should have in here.
    You have a right to complain, but there&#39;s a point where complaining (and giving constructive critic) dissapears in whining. For some people your posts seem to have reached that point. I just hope you can take up enjoying the forum as you did before, be constructive, sharp and alert... by doing just that you help us all to make the board as enjoyable as it was before, and you will probably enjoy it a lot again&#33;

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #55
    Its magic baby!
    Originally posted by rookiecrd1@5 May 2004 - 02:16
    Now hold up.

Kab, you are welcome to have your own opinion of me. I&#39;m not going to dispute that, however you don&#39;t know me and I don&#39;t know you either. As for the server though it is far more then Nothing (unless you consider &#036;250-&#036;400 a month nothing). The google banner brings in no more then 10% of this per month, the brideby about 5% of this.

Now this leaves me with about &#036;3000 per year to pay out of my pocket to keep this thing running. Would you like to chip in? You wanna pay the server costs? I&#39;ll even make you an admin :-)

Brian
    Nuff respect to you dude, are there any benefits to it apart from listening to our juvenille rantings day in day out.

Do you mind if i ask you why?

Thankyou for doing it regardless of your answer to the previous question.

:beerchug:
    Wiz.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #56
    Site Owner
    Well Basically I have been doing this stuff for fun. Haven&#39;t had much time lately because its my last 2 weeks of college and I have a lot of studying to do.

Eventually I hope to be able to run this site cost free with the help of some more traffic to raise the ad revenue a bit. We will see though. Either way the forum is in good hand, cost or no cost.

Brian

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #57
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by jetje@4 May 2004 - 19:20
    i read post of people claiming everything kAb, really don&#39;t believe everything you read. Every gig datatraffic costs money, and we generate pretty much believe me.
    Also the hardware for a dedicated server isn&#39;t for free, in the past we worked with people hosting us for free. That didn&#39;t work out very well (like TRX & co), i&#39;m glad we have a very stable host.
    The board is hardly down the past months. Why denie them to earn a little fee back in return to give us a smoothly running board. And even if they make a little money out of it (wich is not the case, i&#39;m pretty sure of that)... it&#39;s still free for us the users.

I agree on this has to be recreational, but that has to be for the admin and mods too. Although some people claim diffrent the team does everything to be fair and square to all, and takes every action because we think that&#39;s in the best interest of the whole community. I agree that somethings ain&#39;t working out well. Like the antispam script, but when it was uploaded it was to protect the board for people who tried running spamscripts. It is kinda backfiring on the board now so i hope it will be gone as soon as possible. And i know that you hate the current skins and would almost do a kill to get the old one back. Even that is still on the agenda in team chat. Just give it time. We know we ain&#39;t perfect, but it&#39;s impossible to do everything on demand because of a lot of reasons mentioned a lot of times.

Fact is that with a lot of posts you made lately and the text you have now in the sig you ain&#39;t contributing much to the recreational atmosphere we should have in here.
    You have a right to complain, but there&#39;s a point where complaining (and giving constructive critic) dissapears in whining. For some people your posts seem to have reached that point. I just hope you can take up enjoying the forum as you did before, be constructive, sharp and alert... by doing just that you help us all to make the board as enjoyable as it was before, and you will probably enjoy it a lot again&#33;
    Thanks JetJe.

First post I&#39;ve read in awhile that made sense to me.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #58
    Poster
    Average cost of a dedicated server

unmanaged, 40 gig disk, 1000GIG transfer, &#036;59 per month US.

Managed, 40 gig disk, 1000GIG transfer. &#036;99 per month US.

You know how many sites you can host on a 40 gig drive?
    average webspace for a site like this = about 2 gig.

for most other sites, 500 mb is more than enough.

So let&#39;s resell 20 gig, half of our available space, at an average &#036;9.99 a month per 500 MB webspace.

20gig divided by 500 mb = 40 packages.

40 packages each bringing in &#036;9.99 a month = &#036;399.60 per month

Minus the cost of the dedicated server
    unmanaged &#036;399.60 - &#036;59 = &#036;340.60 profit
    managed &#036;399.60 - &#036;99 = &#036;300.60 profit

Not enough profit? Resell the remaining half of the diskspace&#33;

Screw Income tax, claim a capital loss for the first three years and deduct it from your overall portfolio.

That&#39;s good for several thousand alone. (even though you aren&#39;t really taking a loss at all )

Play with these numbers all you want, someone isn&#39;t being completely honest here, or, has no business being an admin.
    Wanna administor your own site? Become a webmaster? Learn how to secure free or reasonable hosting? Opportunities, Guidance and Resources provided at absolutely no cost&#33; Do you have an internet related talent you&#39;d like to explore? Contact me if they&#39;ll allow you to.
    Ready to run sites are available. On completion, you should be able to easily secure your own free 500mb webspace with all the latest services. I&#39;ll show you how and give you all the contacts.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #59
    Site Owner
    I am being completely honest. Why wouldn&#39;t I?

You can not get a 40gig space server and 1000 gig bandwidth for &#036;99 a month without it being extremely crappy.

As for not having any business being an admin.... What does it matter to you how much the server costs? Whether it is &#036;1 a month or &#036;3000 a month, it does not affect this forum or you in any way. How does what i pay for the server and other expences related to this forum have anything to do with my duties as an admin? Are the members paying for the server? No I am&#33;

Brian

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #60
    Poster
    Are you?

Just got a weak spot for lost souls and failing forums?

I can get one within 24 hours and no, it aint crappy&#33; It&#39;s from one of the highest rated datacenters in the US. Houston I believe. Sound familliar?

It concerns me when anyone continues to misrepresent the cost of doing business.

One of the services I offer is providing the opportunity and resources for people to learn this business. That includes costs, management, responsibility, etc.

And that doesn&#39;t cost me or them a single cent&#33;

All your whining about costs might mislead someone, ie: they might actually believe you and decide it&#39;s too complicated or too expensive or too technical.

And that would be a shame.
    Wanna administor your own site? Become a webmaster? Learn how to secure free or reasonable hosting? Opportunities, Guidance and Resources provided at absolutely no cost&#33; Do you have an internet related talent you&#39;d like to explore? Contact me if they&#39;ll allow you to.
    Ready to run sites are available. On completion, you should be able to easily secure your own free 500mb webspace with all the latest services. I&#39;ll show you how and give you all the contacts.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast