Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formating Hd

Poster
    my mums pc got messed up (not much needs 2 b said) but now it is messed up i have to reinstall XP. however the pc does not detect the hard drive. i presume this is because i need to format it. how can i go around doing this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Question. The pc does not detect the hd, or XP does not detect it?

How is it connected?

If it is standard IDE, then it has to be detected by the bios before you can go any further, if that's not happening then either your mobo or your HD is broken.

If it is not standard IDE, then you may need a driver to install at setup time, when the prompt comes up at the bottom of the screen.

After that, you can partition and reformat within XP setup.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@4 May 2004 - 17:55
    Question. The pc does not detect the hd, or XP does not detect it?

How is it connected?

If it is standard IDE, then it has to be detected by the bios before you can go any further, if that's not happening then either your mobo or your HD is broken.

If it is not standard IDE, then you may need a driver to install at setup time, when the prompt comes up at the bottom of the screen.

After that, you can partition and reformat within XP setup.
    i'm not too sure how it is connected. Its one of those buy premade and i cant open the fekin case. i go to install XP after i believe the same thing that happened to my pc was done to my mothers (she turned it of at the wall ). The harddrive isn't detected by XP setup and it is enabled in bios with the CD and floppy drives too. I will try and take a picture of the pc screen when it comes up

edit
    XP doesn't detect it, i believe it just needs a to be partition/formatted (could be wrong though)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    btw, i have no idea why it says from scatch

must just be me in a rush

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    how new or old is the harddrive?
    you may have to type numbers written on the drive into the bios if its an older model

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by scottwile@4 May 2004 - 19:43
    how new or old is the harddrive?
    you may have to type numbers written on the drive into the bios if its an older model
    about 4 years lol. i am unable 2 get into the case so i cannot check anything out

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hey Marius24:

I work at a computer store if Your hard drive is not being detected in the windows xp install that means A, your hard drive is dead B, its not detected right. If your hard drive was acully detected in the bios then windows xp install well detect the hard drive and say there is no partation on it. so ether check the bios if its not there then the hard drive is dead.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Marius24@4 May 2004 - 16:00
    about 4 years lol. i am unable 2 get into the case so i cannot check anything out
    Why can't you just open your case??
    If it's because of warrenty issues, then formatting will void your warrenty anyway, so go ahead and open it up
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by kaiweiler+4 May 2004 - 20:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kaiweiler @ 4 May 2004 - 20:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Marius24@4 May 2004 - 16:00
    about 4 years lol.&nbsp; i am unable 2 get into the case so i cannot check anything out
    Why can&#39;t you just open your case??
    If it&#39;s because of warrenty issues, then formatting will void your warrenty anyway, so go ahead and open it up [/b][/quote]
    believe me, i have tried&#33; at one point a had a screw driver trying to dig into the case

there will b a screw or switch thing somewhere

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Marius24 did u find out your problem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast