Thread: Program To Fix File Extensions...

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    in my post for marius, where I was telling him commands to rename a large group of file's file extensions, I accidently renamed all of the .jpg files in my pictures folder to .gif.

are there any programs out there that can check all of my files, and see which files have the wrong extension, so that I will know which to rename, without having to go through almost 300 files

please help me

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    blank BT Rep: +1
    cant u do the same thing but rename them back to jpg??
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TRshady
    No mate as that would turn the .gifs into .jpegs, even those which are meant to be .gifs. I'll have a look for ya rossco, though sadly doubt there is such a thing. Good luck

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I'm not sure of a piece of software that can do that off-hand, but at least you can use rrrrrrrrrRenameTool when you're sure of what files are what. It's in the software page. You do need to have the Java Runtime Environment installed, though.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@4 May 2004 - 19:04
    I&#39;m not sure of a piece of software that can do that off-hand, but at least you can use rrrrrrrrrRenameTool when you&#39;re sure of what files are what. It&#39;s in the software page. You do need to have the Java Runtime Environment installed, though.

-- Xero Grid --
    hmm, well thanks but not really what i need. that program does the exact same thing as my little renaming command which got me into this mess in the first place

@hungrylilboy, as TRshady has said, if I was to rename all gif&#39;s to jpg then that would make teh files that actually are in GIF format change to .jpg...which is just the same as my current problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by jmrjlk@5 May 2004 - 12:24
    "Better File Rename" is great.

http://www.publicspace.net/windows/BetterFileRename/
    yes but that isnt what i need, i already know how to rename multiple files, i just need to know how to fix teh file extensions now its still in jpg format, but it has teh .gif file extension...i need a program that can find which files have the wrong extension for the format that they are.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Can you sort by "date last modified"? Hopefully the one&#39;s you changed are the most recent, then you can select them all at once and move them, then rename them all. Just a thought

Good luck

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by mojo2185@6 May 2004 - 02:27
    Can you sort by "date last modified"? Hopefully the one&#39;s you changed are the most recent, then you can select them all at once and move them, then rename them all. Just a thought

Good luck
    was a good idea, i tried it but the ones that got changed dont have a modified date on them i guess its cause I used a dos command to do it