Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying New Modem And Uncapping It

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    as most of u know, i have comcast. and the modem is screwing up. i'm gonna buy a new modem. most likely this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-122-104&depa=1

now, i just called comcast, and i asked them if they allow uncapping modems. the person checked, and she said that if i rent their modem, its not allowed, but if i have my own modem, i can do watever i want!!!

not here's my question:
    i know how to uncap, but i've never really tried on comcast's cable lines before. how much faster will my internet go? rite now, their advertised speed is 3 megabits (not MB, Mb) per second. thats bout 375kb/s. i dl at this speed sometimes on bt and klite and stuff. the surfboard modem above allows up to 38Mb/s dl speed (4750kb/s or 4.5 megabytes/sec ). if i uncap, how fast will my dls get?
    and btw, for all u guys out there, uncapping is allowed on comcast if u have ur own modem.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You are funny abu!

How are the AP exams?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    to be honest, it sounds as though they have no clue what uncapping means (the person with whom you spoke) but its def worth a try - if they complain, tell em what you were told, and they cant do much - except tell you to cap it

try google for how i guess
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 May 2004 - 17:40
    as most of u know, i have comcast. and the modem is screwing up. i&#39;m gonna buy a new modem. most likely this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-122-104&depa=1

now, i just called comcast, and i asked them if they allow uncapping modems. the person checked, and she said that if i rent their modem, its not allowed, but if i have my own modem, i can do watever i want&#33;&#33;&#33;

not here&#39;s my question:
    i know how to uncap, but i&#39;ve never really tried on comcast&#39;s cable lines before. how much faster will my internet go? rite now, their advertised speed is 3 megabits (not MB, Mb) per second. thats bout 375kb/s. i dl at this speed sometimes on bt and klite and stuff. the surfboard modem above allows up to 38Mb/s dl speed (4750kb/s or 4.5 megabytes/sec ). if i uncap, how fast will my dls get?
    and btw, for all u guys out there, uncapping is allowed on comcast if u have ur own modem.
    you&#39;ll be using teh full bandwith available in your area, which is going to make ervyone else&#39;s downlaods in teh area very slow. which isnt very nice. but f*ck em eh? lol. im guessing it will probably go about 25% to 50% faster, but not to much higher.

and if they give you any trouble about teh extra bandwith your using, just say they said you could do it, so they cant charge you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by adamp2p@5 May 2004 - 18:01
    You are funny abu&#33;

How are the AP exams?
    ap exams are pretty crazy. i have ap euro coming up this friday. i&#39;m prob gonna pull through witha 3 or 4.

so it won&#39;t go that fast? only 25 to 50% higher? that&#39;s not a lot. thats like 4mb, or 500kb/s. that&#39;s not that much higher. i&#39;m gonna buy a modem anyway cuz i&#39;m sick of using their shitty modems and them chargin me &#036;3 per month. and i did explain to her what uncapping means. she understands. she said that if i do that with their modem, it&#39;s violating service agreement thingy.

and my neighbors don&#39;t even use cable. they don&#39;t use internet. plus i don&#39;t like them that much anyway.

any suggestions as to uncapping and stuff? i dled a pretty good package with all the tools i&#39;ll need to uncap. looks really easy.

and has anyone here done it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Abu, why do you think uncapping your modem will make any difference whatsoever to your DL speeds on K-Lite and the like?

The bottleneck there is the ability of users to give out the file, not your ability to receive it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by clocker@5 May 2004 - 20:41
    Abu, why do you think uncapping your modem will make any difference whatsoever to your DL speeds on K-Lite and the like?

The bottleneck there is the ability of users to give out the file, not your ability to receive it.
    it doesnt?
    certainly, bt would have much higher speed. i peak at 350kb/s all the time on bt. if i do that, y can&#39;t i peak at a higher speed after the uncapping?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i think i read somewhere that the therotical limit through cable is 8 mb down, 3 mb up but of course there are many things that would slow this down, distance, bad cable lines etc.

the only way to find out is for you to find out yourself

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I&#39;m pretty sure that uncapping it is gonna be illegal in some way or form...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    http://www.comcast.net/terms/use.jsp

"(xix) service, alter, modify, or tamper with the Comcast Equipment or Service or permit any other person to do the same who is not authorized by Comcast"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast