Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eye Openers

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Just read this one through quickly, and have just enough time to paraphrase Thomas Sowell:

"Though we must strive for equality of opportunity; equality of result is beyond our reach."

I believe the bearing on this thread is self-explanatory; the hardship and vanity involved in pursuit of the latter is assured, though less obvious to the idealists.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Poster
    This shouldn't even be in world news and events, it is snapshot PC bollocks for the MTV generation.

In my opinion it should be moved to the talk club, it has no place in this section.

FFS this is the McDonalds equivalent of serious debate. Have we descended to the level of fast argument.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by J'Pol@7 May 2004 - 23:50
    Have we descended to the level of fast argument.
    One takes it where one can get it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by chalice+8 May 2004 - 00:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 8 May 2004 - 00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@7 May 2004 - 23:50
    Have we descended to the level of fast argument.
    One takes it where one can get it. [/b][/quote]
    Fair point

Fries with that .

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Poster
    Some very odd facts there

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by djweiser@7 May 2004 - 17:01
    Some very odd facts there
    So you actually accept that some of these are facts?
    How exactly does one determine/quantify #7,33 or 43, for instance?
    30 IN 2001, 13.2 million Americans and 2.5 million Britons had plastic surgery.
    Define "plastic surgery".
    The implication here is that we are talking about breast enlargement and nose jobs, but I think the term "plastic surgery" covers a lot more than that...burn victems typically undergo multiple surgical procedures, are they skewing the results?
    32 EIGHTY-TWO per cent of the world&#39;s smokers live in developing countries.
    Okay.
    What percentage of the world&#39;s population lives in "developing countries"?
    82% maybe?

Etc., etc....blah,blah,blah.
    I&#39;m with the hobbes of last night on this one.
    Today&#39;s more contrite and judicious hobbes wimped out.

This is pure drivel.
    42% of which is produced right here in the USA BTW, did you all know that?

It&#39;s a fact.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@7 May 2004 - 15:50
    This shouldn&#39;t even be in world news and events, it is snapshot PC bollocks for the MTV generation.

In my opinion it should be moved to the talk club, it has no place in this section.

FFS this is the McDonalds equivalent of serious debate. Have we descended to the level of fast argument.
    so events that go on around the world every day have no place in world news and "events" ? you sad dull person.

Hobbes i fail to see why a unified religion would help, most of the serious issues relate to government (are you suggesting this because of the author again) But at least you tried to look at the issues.
    one religious point though is Aids in africa. The church is anti contraception and instead of facing up to the fact that people DO sleep around and this is causing the problem they instead go blindly with sex for procreation only and evey sperm is a possible life.. this is one where the church needs to change it&#39;s attitude

It&#39;s kind of funny that people consentrate on the "barbie" issues more than say the eveyday fatalities due to landmines, perhaps they are turning a blind eye to such unpalletable issues because if interferes with their cozy life.
    perhaps Hobbes is right, we should accept that we can never make a difference and evolve into a higher race, after all someone will just come up behind us again for penetration.

j2 you may have a point about "the way things are" in your quote, but it&#39;s only valid because we allow it to be. If a product can be improved or made safer don&#39;t you feel it should be?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Vidcc,

Can you think of anything going on in the world today which might be related to religious tensions?

Israel/palestine
    Bin Laden/ 9/11
    Saddam and the entire Middle East / the US

turn back the clock a bit, Hitler.

turn back the clock, the Crusades.

you can keep turning it back, you will find the same problem.

Religion creates walls which are not amenable to arbitration.

We need a nice "visitation" from above to slap all our ass, tell us what God really wants and tells us to play nice. As we fumble around now, each society attempting to describe what God is, conflicts will always recur when ones version doesn&#39;t mesh with anothers.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@8 May 2004 - 02:04

Etc., etc....blah,blah,blah.
    I&#39;m with the hobbes of last night on this one.
    Today&#39;s more contrite and judicious hobbes wimped out.

This is pure drivel.
    Are you suggesting that bunny boy may have chosen to be politically correct, or to back off from offending the hard of thinking.

Surely not, in my experience the chap tells it as he sees it and does not pander to those with delusions of adequacy.

Are we now be in the presence of a more mellow and understanding rabbit. That would be such a shame. I had always valued the chaps honesty, never thinking that he would temper his posts, for fear of offending the sensitive of nature.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by vidcc@8 May 2004 - 01:18
    evey sperm is a possible life..
    The Meaning of Life...

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/mol/every-sp.mp3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast