Thread: Learning About Computers

Over the last few months I have bought a comp and started reading and reading and reading, while I enjoy t and am learning quite a bit I recognise that i am lacking guidance and structure. I wonder if anyone could recommend subjects that should be started with, and then lead on to other subjects. I am very interested in security issues and would like to learn more about firewalls and ports and settings? Is this a good way to start or is learning about operating systems a better way?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Well, it's a good way to learn about vulnerabilities about the operating systems. If you want to leanr about operating systems themselves, try different ones and compare them. The best way to learn is to just seek out the knowledge and test it for yourself. Linux is getting very popular, so try it. Use a live disk so you don't have to install it to use it.

I mean there are so many different aspects of computers to keep in mind. But, of course all seprated on hardware and software, and all software must have a programming language. If you want to learn a programming language, Python may be the way to go. It's a simple scripting language as opposed to a compiled language.

Just experiment. Open your computer and see what's inside. Tinker. Build a website. There are plenty of simple HTML tutorials. You can go onto more complicated stuff like XHTML, CSS, PHP, and so on.

But, always keep in mind that Google is your friend.

I would probably give a better reply if I didn't have to go, so see ya.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    if you want to learn about security then hacking sites will help you alot

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    some of my favs are
    http://neworder.box.sk/subject.php?subject=Articles
    loads of good articles there

http://www.devshed.com/
    the python guides there are excellent i would seriously learn python or perl since they are both very useful.

that should keep you busy for a long while.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by 4play@7 May 2004 - 22:16
    some of my favs are
    http://neworder.box.sk/subject.php?subject=Articles
    loads of good articles there

http://www.devshed.com/
    the python guides there are excellent i would seriously learn python or perl since they are both very useful.

that should keep you busy for a long while.
    Appreciated. I&#39;ve noted them down and waddling over there as I type. Cheers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    4 play nice sights

laim i learned bit by bit trial and error. there was times when something was wrong with my pc and i would just mess about with it untill i got it to work again. also if u get stuck post it in a forum like this one coz someone is always there to help

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by foot loose@7 May 2004 - 23:48
    4 play nice sights

laim i learned bit by bit trial and error. there was times when something was wrong with my pc and i would just mess about with it untill i got it to work again. also if u get stuck post it in a forum like this one coz someone is always there to help
    Cheers

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Check out X-Setup. It&#39;s like the ultimate Windows tweaking tool. Put it on record mode and look at the file outputted. You can learn a bit about the Windows registry that way. Also, if you use Windows 2000 or XP, Black Viper has an awesome guide on services. Descriptions, dependancies, and what can be shut down for speed, security, and so on. That&#39;s a pretty important part of Windows.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@8 May 2004 - 04:54
    Check out X-Setup. It&#39;s like the ultimate Windows tweaking tool. Put it on record mode and look at the file outputted. You can learn a bit about the Windows registry that way. Also, if you use Windows 2000 or XP, Black Viper has an awesome guide on services. Descriptions, dependancies, and what can be shut down for speed, security, and so on. That&#39;s a pretty important part of Windows.

-- Xero Grid --
    Cheers Xero Grid, i took your advice last time about security, such as zonealarm, nod32, updates etc, excellent really helpful, haven&#39;t worked out a comp for proxy but got my hands on a free 486, I&#39;ll see if that will do, I have been checking black vipers site as well.