Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System Restore ? Why Have It On

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by Robert00000@8 May 2004 - 14:15
    System Restore is very useful if you know how to use it. It can solve so many problems in minutes that otherwise would take hours, if not days, to solve.
    But does it actually solve anything? I disabled System Restore as soon as I installed XP (and never missed it), but it's my understanding that it simply takes your PC back to a time before the problem occurred, possibly losing some of your data and other system settings in the process. Then if you reinstall the offending application, you'll just have to deal with it again later. I think it's better to try and figure out the root cause of the problem and see if you can actually fix it correctly, rather than just avoiding it until it happens again.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Its the first thing I disable after doing a clean install. Messenger service is the second.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BANNED
    yep m8 turn it off otherwise it monitors your drives 24/7...start clonin' your windows instead

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by peat moss@9 May 2004 - 14:11
    Its the first thing I disable after doing a clean install. Messenger service is the second.
    Yep. Followed by DCOM.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Nightwolf@9 May 2004 - 18:56
    I think it&#39;s better to try and figure out the root cause of the problem and see if you can actually fix it correctly, rather than just avoiding it until it happens again.
    agreed, i had system restore on when i first got XP, it helped then to put back dodgy registry tinkerings and driver installs, but now i&#39;m confident with XP i just take care with what i&#39;m doing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12