Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Plugs

lynx's Avatar .
    According to HP, both printer and scanner have parallel port (25 pin) and usb port (4 pin) connectors.

Your computer does not have a parallel port so you can't use that option. You can't use adapters on the 25 pin cables to make them fit your computer. You will have to get USB cables, but check the printer and scanner first to make sure they have the right port.

Drivers for the printer come with XP.
    Drivers for the scanner are available here.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by sampson@10 May 2004 - 07:21
    I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren't listed. I thought if something worked on say, win98 then by default it would work on winxp? Am I mistaken? Could that be the problem? They are just to old?
    My Mother's HP ScanJet 3300c simply would not work with XP. Even with the latest drivers her machine would fail to recognize that there was a scanning device hooked up.
    Occasionally, I could get it to work by unplugging/replugging it...we'd get the "found new hardware" balloon, but eventually that stopped working too.
    The problem became so irritating that finally, for Mother's Day, I bought her a new scanner.
    Not an HP.

HP's software and customer support is pathetic.
    Never again.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker+10 May 2004 - 17:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 10 May 2004 - 17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sampson@10 May 2004 - 07:21
    I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren&#39;t listed.&nbsp; I thought if something worked on say,&nbsp; win98 then by default it would work on winxp?&nbsp; Am I mistaken?&nbsp; Could that be the problem?&nbsp; They are just to old?
    My Mother&#39;s HP ScanJet 3300c simply would not work with XP. Even with the latest drivers her machine would fail to recognize that there was a scanning device hooked up.
    Occasionally, I could get it to work by unplugging/replugging it...we&#39;d get the "found new hardware" balloon, but eventually that stopped working too.
    The problem became so irritating that finally, for Mother&#39;s Day, I bought her a new scanner.
    Not an HP.

HP&#39;s software and customer support is pathetic.
    Never again. [/b][/quote]
    yes I agree, when I first bought my computer one of my dad&#39;s friends said that hp are teh best, so we got an hp computer, hp printer soon after, and hp scanner bit after that...all of these products have problems with drivers, it may be becuase they are old, but hp should still be making drivers for them...

although after a lot of tinkering, they all eventually work fine

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+10 May 2004 - 22:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 10 May 2004 - 22:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sampson@10 May 2004 - 07:21
    I checked to see if the scanner/printer were supported by winxp and they weren&#39;t listed.&nbsp; I thought if something worked on say,&nbsp; win98 then by default it would work on winxp?&nbsp; Am I mistaken?&nbsp; Could that be the problem?&nbsp; They are just to old?
    My Mother&#39;s HP ScanJet 3300c simply would not work with XP. Even with the latest drivers her machine would fail to recognize that there was a scanning device hooked up.
    Occasionally, I could get it to work by unplugging/replugging it...we&#39;d get the "found new hardware" balloon, but eventually that stopped working too.
    The problem became so irritating that finally, for Mother&#39;s Day, I bought her a new scanner.
    Not an HP.

HP&#39;s software and customer support is pathetic.
    Never again. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ve noticed that effect too, with other USB devices, but I haven&#39;t found out the cause yet. What I did find (this was with a Viewquest Webcam) was that plugging the webcam into a different USB port got it working again for a while, but going back to the original port did not work, so of course once all the USB ports had been used the device didn&#39;t work at all. The webcam originally came with a Time computer. Drivers from their website, which were earlier than the one&#39;s from Viewquest, got it working.

I also had a similar problem with my own scanner (a simple scanner not found message this time), but I found that if I kept the USB connection plugged in but removed and replaced the power lead from the scanner it would start working again. A recent patch has cured it completely.

If you look at the link I provided, there&#39;s a patch to the HP drivers (dated 2002-06-06) which addresses that same problem for the scanjet 3200c. I suspect the actual problem lies in Microsoft&#39;s definition of the software interface for USB devices.

However, I agree about HP&#39;s support.
    I&#39;ve said it before - HP invent, then they rip you off.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@10 May 2004 - 17:50
    If you look at the link I provided, there&#39;s a patch to the HP drivers (dated 2002-06-06) which addresses that same problem for the scanjet 3200c. I suspect the actual problem lies in Microsoft&#39;s definition of the software interface for USB devices.
    hey, 3200c is my scanner, but it isnt usb did u mean 3300c?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+10 May 2004 - 22:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 10 May 2004 - 22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@10 May 2004 - 17:50
    hey, 3200c is my scanner, but it isnt usb did u mean 3300c? [/b][/quote]
    Nope - follow the link.

Edit: Could be that not all 3200c&#39;s have usb.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+10 May 2004 - 17:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 10 May 2004 - 17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@10 May 2004 - 22:52
    <!--QuoteBegin-lynx
    @10 May 2004 - 17:50

hey, 3200c is my scanner, but it isnt usb did u mean 3300c?
    Nope - follow the link.

Edit: Could be that not all 3200c&#39;s have usb. [/b][/quote]
    hmm maybe, i think i might recall having to make teh decision, and not knowing which I had, so he gave me parallel just to be certain...i think...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My Mother&#39;s scanner was a 3300c...I don&#39;t know know how that falls in the HP product line relative to the 3200c, but HP says that it is not currently supported under XP and they are "working on it".

"Working on it"?
    Are they nuts?
    XP has been out long enough and is so ubiquitous that any major peripheral manufacturer should have upgraded XP drivers well sorted by now.

The new scanner ( a Canon CanoScan LIDE30) practically leapt into her computer and worked immediately with no configuration at all.
    If Canon, who are historically camera makers, can figure this out, then what is HP&#39;s problem?

Lynx,
    I have run into the phenomonon you describe with a Soyo 6 in 1 card reader.
    This bay mounted device ( connected to a board header) randomly appeared and then vanished.
    Being internal, it was a royal pain to reconnect the USB plug to wake it up, so I finally spliced a on/off switch into the 5v line in the USB cable so I could jog it to life without stripping off a sidepanel.
    This blodge did work, but was so inelegant that I finally scrapped the device.
    My external USB Dazzle card reader works flawlessly.

Go figure.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    Drivers for HP Scanjet 3300c for XP, Version 3.03, date 2002-02-06. :-"

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx@10 May 2004 - 18:25
    Drivers for HP Scanjet 3300c for XP, Version 3.03, date 2002-02-06. :-"
    good work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast