Thread: Bbc Tech Show

I've just been watching a BBC tech show on TV there, and apparently the RIAA are suing 477 more people. The reason it's different this time, though, is that they're suing the actual IP addresses. They don't know who they are suing, the ISPs haven't given the information yet...

How is that possible?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Originally posted by Mr JP Fugley+9 May 2004 - 11:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr JP Fugley @ 9 May 2004 - 11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-amphoteric88@9 May 2004 - 04:47
    I&#39;ve just been watching a BBC tech show on TV there, and apparently the RIAA are suing 477 more people. The reason it&#39;s different this time, though, is that they&#39;re suing the actual IP addresses. They don&#39;t know who they are suing, the ISPs haven&#39;t given the information yet...

How is that possible?
    they must be doing something like "the person using that ip, at that time" isp records will show that.

but that would be protected under the dpa. so the isp would need a dpa exemption form, but the riaa is not a law enforcement body, so the police would need to get it. and the cpa would really need to agree, but it&#39;s normally a civil matter. so would the police act on it, particularly when the "offence and ofender" is that nebulous ?

i take it this is not the uk we are talking about. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s in America (what a surprise)