Thread: Intel P4 Vs Intel Centrino

Hi

Currently, I am looking for a high spec laptop. now days, laptops come with 2 types of processors: Intel P4 and Centrino.

Suppose there are 2 machines, one with "IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor 1.70 GHz" and the second with "IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor 3.06 GHz ".

Am I right in thinking that P4 3.06GHz processor is more powerful than PentiumŪ M Processor 1.70 GHz.

If this is the case then who would like to buy Intel M processor? People who travel most of the time?

regards

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    its intels laptop package, it includes a bunch of hardware from intel as bob_the_alien has said, which includes an intel pentium M processor, integrated wireless networking, and some other stuff. And it uses far less battery than the competitions hardware, so centrino is currently the best solution for laptops.
    It is their fastest mobile chip. The more powerful laptops simply use the desktop CPU - faster but it needs a lot of cooling which the diddy laptop fans aren't exactly providing. I've got a 2.66 P4 in my laptop and it's noisy as hell - my sister has a 1.7 M and you can barely hear it because the fans rarely have to rev up.

So yes, unless you want *the* fastest laptop, or a specific package that only comes with the desktop CPU,, get an M.
    Not sure if that helps. But basically its saying alot less noise and its cooler. And a few other good things.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    in general, desktop CPU's are more powerfull than their laptop counterparts, however, the pentium M processor is the processor that got intel thinking about changing the rating system on CPU's (from GHz to a system that shows how much work the processor does)

this kinda tells you that the pentium M is alot more powerfull than you'd expect...... and it is specifically designed for a laptop (low fan speed, less power consumption), so the M is prolly your best choice (unless you really want to go for power, but then ull notice it in your battery life)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I would go for centrino. My friend just bought a CELERON...which I told him not too lol but oh well.

I think they said the 1.5Ghz M chip is the same speed as the 2.4Ghz chip.

This is my suggestion...

They should all use the same system...same videocard, hdd, ram, motherboard (sept chipsets), and same everything else, except the chip.

They should then run a test on it...like a sissoft CPU Multimedia test or something...and see how high it scores. Run it 10 times and take the average, and say the chip scored 3500...it would be rated as a Intel 3.5.

AMD would then run the exact same test 10 times. Only the difference would be the chipset...same mobo and stuff..have the company make them the same performance wise.

That way everything would be fair...but this will not happen lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 May 2004 - 17:19
    I would go for centrino. My friend just bought a CELERON...which I told him not too lol but oh well.

I think they said the 1.5Ghz M chip is the same speed as the 2.4Ghz chip.

This is my suggestion...

They should all use the same system...same videocard, hdd, ram, motherboard (sept chipsets), and same everything else, except the chip.

They should then run a test on it...like a sissoft CPU Multimedia test or something...and see how high it scores. Run it 10 times and take the average, and say the chip scored 3500...it would be rated as a Intel 3.5.

AMD would then run the exact same test 10 times. Only the difference would be the chipset...same mobo and stuff..have the company make them the same performance wise.

That way everything would be fair...but this will not happen lol
    How would an Intel chip and an AMD chip both fit into one mobo ?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    For the record, Centrino is not a processor. It's a group of technologies(CPU, chipset, wireless card) and the Centrino name is used by Intel for marketing only.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I will be doing a lot of web development on my laptop. so i will be running Visual studio, dreamweaver, photoshop and other stuff at the same time. I will not be travelling much with my laptop.

So by reading ur comments, my conclusion is that I should go for P4 since its more powerful. any disagreements.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by reminder@9 May 2004 - 10:10
    I will be doing a lot of web development on my laptop. so i will be running Visual studio, dreamweaver, photoshop and other stuff at the same time. I will not be travelling much with my laptop.

So by reading ur comments, my conclusion is that I should go for P4 since its more powerful. any disagreements.

It may not have the same clock speed but it terms of power, it is probably better.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Same mobo design...everything sept chipset and socket the same...duh
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by reminder@9 May 2004 - 14:10

id rather go for a pentium M. they use less power, therefore teh battery will last longer. and if I ever bought a laptop, id want teh battery to last a long time