Thread: Is It Actually Permitted To Use An Image

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Are we actually Allowed to grab/HotLink/etc any image we want on the web and use it for whatever purpose we want.

Or

Is this against CopyRight Infringment Laws?

Should we actuallly ask permission First?

I would like to know

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    i think they just let U look at it and thats it

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    If they have a Problem with it they usually let you know about it by saying no Hotlinking.

So that means no useing my ASS Picture from my Host to be Posting on other Forums.Host my ASS on your own Site if you want to do that!

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@9 May 2004 - 20:54
    If they have a Problem with it they usually let you know about it by saying no Hotlinking.

So that means no useing my ASS Picture from my Host to be Posting on other Forums.Host my ASS on your own Site if you want to do that!
    sure if u dont know the guy

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Retired
    some pics are copyrighted but if you use it without trying to make money its cool I think

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@9 May 2004 - 18:54

Host your ass. Right!

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    Just Found this in Google FAQ (cant believe i actually looked there"
    http://images.google.com/help/faq_images.html#copyright
    "Are there any copyright restrictions associated with the images?

The images identified by the Google Image Search service may be protected by copyrights. Although you can locate and access the images through our service, we cannot grant you any rights to use them for any purpose other than viewing them on the web. Accordingly, if you would like to use any images you have found through our service, we advise you to contact the site owner to obtain the requisite permissions."

and found this which causes questions

http://www.legal-database.com/copyright-la...nternet-law.htm

" Copyright Laws and the Internet

Works put on the Internet are considered “published” and therefore qualify for copyright protection. A work put on the Internet is not considered public domain simply because it was posted on the Internet and free for anyone to download and copy. You need permission from the site owner to publish any materials, including photographs, music, and artwork from the site."

Is a work regarded as "Published " if it is shown in a forum?????

under dictionary i found "published " to be =Prepared and printed for distribution and sale"

Sale?? Distribution??

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Cant believe you are still unsure about such a thing.

Before taking images, look at the site if they say anything about them being copyrighted.

In the forum if someone publishes their own work, they would usually indicate its copyrighted. You wont see at this forum but at professional forums for photoshops etc. you will notice it.

Apart from paper-publishing, there is screen-publishing as well. The matter posted on the sites can be their own published work. You cant simply get someone else's work and publish it on your own site without asking them for permission and crediting them properly.

Argh, twice anti-spam
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    I was just at a photoshop forum and they bitched the hell out of me for using
    "public" images
    gzzz&#39;z
    i understand the artists rights etc
    but tf about artists freedom
    geez those guys are tight
    but in the end i agree with them.....although Duchamp and AndyWarhol did go over this very clearly in the 20Century
    Move on guys