Thread: Lindows Comes Preinstalled On Seagate Hdds

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Gee easy to erase too, Who do they think they are Microsoft ? But good selling point I guess ? Harddrives for the fringe player's ?

Edit: Their time is coming, like it or not I guess. Didn't Walmart try this with Lindows ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    This will probaly trigger Mircosoft to do somthing similar, but lindows or as it's now called linspire has indeed got the upper hand....

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Lindows sucks i'd rather buy an empty drive. my question is why would seagate even want lindows on there drives I don't really see these hdds being that big

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by freak@11 May 2004 - 06:32
    Lindows sucks i'd rather buy an empty drive. my question is why would seagate even want lindows on there drives I don't really see these hdds being that big
    thats the point

n00bs will be like "oh wow it comes with an OS on it already wow its suck an awesome deal"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    wouldn't you still need a cd though incase it needed to be reinstalled? And why not just get linux? meh n00bs

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Sounds like a stupid idea to me
    well, it's a good idea from the company, in the way that AtiVidia said
    but it's stupid for the customers, because you most likley get no cd with it, and what about the people that just want a storage drive? then they have to remove the OS anyway and it defeats the purpose in the first place...
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Double Agent
    i'd much rather get the cd

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by kaiweiler@11 May 2004 - 14:45
    Sounds like a stupid idea to me
    well, it's a good idea from the company, in the way that AtiVidia said
    but it's stupid for the customers, because you most likley get no cd with it, and what about the people that just want a storage drive? then they have to remove the OS anyway and it defeats the purpose in the first place...
    This would be a "special" drive.Most likely would be something that smaller shops would buy and install on PC's that they build,then they charge you 100 bucks for the operating system + the cost of the drive etc. Or for customers who just plain old don't know how to install and OS or are scared to do it.Yes there really are people in the world like this. Plus another fact that Linspire is trying to make it's product more known,this surely can't hurt them.More people are likely to try it.Joe blow will tell his buddy about the "Amazing" operating system and how easy it is to install and then his buddy will buy that same drive or just the OS in general and so on. As for it not coming with the CD,it is likely that everything that will be needed for the OS is already on the harddrive,maybe in a special partition like IBM's.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive