Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raid 0

iv got the promise raid cotoller on board its running on raid 0,iv got 2 same hdd from 60 g...but also 2 partitions.
    They told me thats not correct,can anyone tell me how i conf.....the controller or the hdd
    Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    You configure the drives on the raid controller first. After that they appear as one area of disc space. Depending on the options in the configuration utility you may then be able to make that area appear as a number of logical drives, but they will be spread over both physical drives.

You could leave it as one logical drive and partition the drive how you like, but that's not as efficient as splitting it into more logical drives. However, you can use Partition Magic to re-organise your partitions later if you use one logical drive, which you can't do if you split it in the raid configuration utility.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    so what do i do format c and d and make a new instal of windows ?????

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by iwannetje@11 May 2004 - 02:55
    so what do i do format c and d and  make a new instal of windows ?????
    Well you need to reinstall Windows. If you are using XP, this means that first you need to download the driver for your controller card from the Promise website. Then put that file on a floppy disk. As you boot from your XP CD, you press F6 when the screen tells you to do so to install a third party RAID driver.

Then the XP install will ask you to insert the disk. Insert the disk. Specify which OS you are using and the controller card in the menu that will appear. Then Windows will continue continue the installation, and you can make partitions. I suggest making a 6-12 GB partition for Windows, but make sure you specify the remaining GBs in the partition util.

When the system reboots and begins installing Windows (after 3-5 minutes), it will(might) ask for the disk again, so keep it handy. I advise to continue using your mouse (like moving around in the screen) until it asks for the driver the second time (if it does).

Oh yeah, the second time that the system requests the driver (if it does), Windows will tell you that the driver is NOT signed by Microsoft. Select: Install anyways.

You will get it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Before you do any of that, you have to configure the raid system. Without knowing which Promise raid controller you've got I can't tell you whether the configuration utility is held on the card or whether you have a separate bootable utility.

I&#39;ll assume you&#39;ve got the Fasttrak controller. If so, it has a bios utility and you need to press <Ctrl-F> when prompted to enter the utility. Since you want raid-0 you next press 1 to enter auto-setup, select "Performance", select "Desktop" (unless you are using it for some other purpose) and press <Ctrl-Y> to save the settings.

Now reboot and use the WinXP install disk (as described by adam) to create any partitions you need.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by lynx@11 May 2004 - 06:33
    Before you do any of that, you have to configure the raid system. Without knowing which Promise raid controller you&#39;ve got I can&#39;t tell you whether the configuration utility is held on the card or whether you have a separate bootable utility.

I&#39;ll assume you&#39;ve got the Fasttrak controller. If so, it has a bios utility and you need to press <Ctrl-F> when prompted to enter the utility. Since you want raid-0 you next press 1 to enter auto-setup, select "Performance", select "Desktop" (unless you are using it for some other purpose) and press <Ctrl-Y> to save the settings.

Now reboot and use the WinXP install disk (as described by adam) to create any partitions you need.
    Lynx is correct.

You should get the controller in Manual mode and decide the block size that you want. I suggest 16K blocks or 32K blocks, unless you are working with HUGE files.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    but i get that but does de raid cotroller function we you have 2 disk and 2 partitions or should it be one partition

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by iwannetje@11 May 2004 - 07:27
    but i get that but does de raid cotroller function we you have 2 disk and 2 partitions or should it be one partition
    Look in the Fastrack util you just need to get out your manual and learn how to set things manually (as far as stripe size)..

In the WINDOWS install you just partition as usual.

Learn how to spell and speak in complete sentences&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    im dutch ok&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    can you write dutch?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast