Thread: Problems With Filesharing And My Isp

nhpsurfkid
    yesterday i had my broadband connection suspended by cox communications and when i called they told me it was because i was using kazaa or some other kind of illegal filesharing program. i did not have my firewall on all day and once i talked to them they recconected it and told me if this happened 2 more times my account would be cancelled. now im reading my firewall logs and every 2-4 seconds my port 1107 is being scanned by a variety of different dns servers most of which contain something involving cable or cox. i guess this is how they check to see if im using a filesharing program, this is the only port they have tried to look at. if i change the port kazaa uses and keep my firewall on, then i should be alright, correct? if they start scanning other ports then i guess i will have to change it again, but for the last 24 hours they have been scanning 1107. any suggestions on what to do would help a ton.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Stop filesharing?

Seriously though, change ISP if you can. Show them that if they don't want your money, then can't have it

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Originally posted by nhpsurfkid@11 May 2004 - 19:54
    if this happened2 more times my account would be cancelled.
    Just start up k-lite one more time and leave it on 24/7

I know,bad joke
    Seriously though,change ISP if possible as 2nd gen noob said.
    But on the other hand,they can't deny you their service just because you're running k-lite or any other filesharing program.It's only when you download copyrighted stuff with it that it could become an issue for them.
    But as long as they don't get any notification of the RIAA,MPAA,...claiming that they caught you using it for downloading illegal stuff,then your ISP should just shut up and let it go
    I don't know,but i think they're just doing themselves more harm by cutting people of for using p2p.Other ISP's will be more then happy to take you as a custumor without giving you any hastle about filesharing.

hmm...asspie

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by nhpsurfkid@11 May 2004 - 18:54
    yesterday i had my broadband connection suspended by cox communications and when i called they told me it was because i was using kazaa or some other kind of illegal filesharing program.
    There is nothing illegal about file sharing programs

the only illegal aspect is the sharing of copyright material