Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasoline Reached $2 A Gallon Today In America!

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster

WTF is going on?!Might not sound like much to some of you.But what about the man makeing $5.15 an hour which is the American Minimum Wage.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    1 US gallon = ~3.8 litres.

Petrol in the UK costs between 76 and 80 pence per litre. That's between £2.88 and £3.04 per gallon. That's between $5.05 and $5.33

Minimum wage (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) is £4.00 in the UK

It's all relative

Oh, and if I may be so bold as to point out that Americans are doing no good to the world's oil resevres (no doubt pushing prices up) by driving such uneconomical cars as they do (SUVs getting 14mpg and such like...)

edit: stupid mistake

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@11 May 2004 - 20:30
    1 US gallon = ~3.8 litres.

Petrol in the UK costs between 76 and 80 pence per litre. That's between £2.88 and £3.04 per gallon. That's between $5.05 and $5.33

Minimum wage (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) is £4.00 in the UK

It's all relative

Oh, and if I may be so bold as to point out that Americans are doing no good to the world's oil resevres (no doubt pushing prices up) by driving such uneconomical cars as they do (SUVs getting 14mpg and such like...)

edit: stupid mistake
    almost a dollar a liter here in vancouver (98.5/ltr!!!! ). and that point about the suv's is pure fact. we only have like 10 yrs max oil left, and after we get to that point, WWIII , i think something about the oil crash was posted on this site (that's how i came to know of it)

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@11 May 2004 - 20:30
    It's all relative
    it certainly is all relative. america is relatively more dependent on small automobiles (i mean cars that carry 2 to 5 people, mostly) than most of the world is, 'cause we've spread everything out so wide geographically, developed into a commuter society, and our public transportation systems are generally dire.

and yeah, rotten taste in car designs has something to do with it: urban SUV culture, soccer-mom minivan culture, however you wanna describe it. too many people buying big, powerful gas guzzlers that are far beyond their personal requirements, just to drive to the grocery store.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I don't feel much pity. Sorry. The United States has the cheapest prices in the world.

However, there is quite a lot of oil left in the world. It's just currently not cheap to extract it. I forsee that changing, as oil companies start pouring money into researching easier extraction methods.

Light, small, fuel-effecient cars are readily available, but they aren't especially popular in the United States because they aren't luxurious. Usually they're manufactured by European and Asian companies.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@12 May 2004 - 05:44
    it certainly is all relative. america is relatively more dependent on small automobiles (i mean cars that carry 2 to 5 people, mostly) than most of the world is, 'cause we've spread everything out so wide geographically, developed into a commuter society, and our public transportation systems are generally dire.

The UK has a high proportion of commuters, a shockingly bad public transport system, and yes, we also have out-of-town shopping centres now which can only be reached by car.

We also pay more than twice as much as you do for petrol already, nearly 82p per litre at my local garage.

I have little sympathy either.

Hey, if you feel that strongly about it get all your truck drivers to blockade the fuel depots which is what happened to us a few years ago. Brought the whole country to a standstill.

Note that fuel prices in the UK are now just about higher than they were then.. Watch this space!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster

I always said this was a damn EURO Forum!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@12 May 2004 - 10:28

I always said this was a damn EURO Forum!

Surely you know some truck drivers you can get to blockade the fuel depots?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    In Australia its around 0.98AU/ 0.68US/0.38UK a litre and around $AU0.50 cents of that is tax

Minimum wage is a bit more complex in Australia, as we have an award rate system for diffrent Industrys, it could be anywhere between $8 - $12 an hour depending on what industry it is.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@12 May 2004 - 04:30
    funny, the engines that are this gus guzzling, are designed by non-americans, hmm
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast