Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

blank BT Rep: +1
    Ok sorry in advance for how confusing this is going to be but i will try to be clear as possible. I have had similar trouble in the past, the first time was able to solve it by using system restore (didnt work this time) and second time had to do a clean windows install (dont want to this time)

I am using a wifi adsl router to connect to the internet

Suddenly without any warning IE, msn and anything else that uses IE settings don't connect and come up with that server not found (IE), or that I am not connected to the internet (msn)

However, K-lite etc still connect and still download....If I open KaNat I can then see that my wan ip has been changed somehow and KaNat shows the error that the wrong wan ip has been added. If i manually add the correct one, it works....but IE still wont.

I then re-installed the router and wifi drivers etc and tried to connect. Still wont work.

I then tried using a proxy in a different country to where I am...And it works!

Turn off the proxy and back to unable to connect to server

what is going on? IE suddenly stops working in the middle of a session, its not like i have installed something else.

Please help!! am getting desperate
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    have you checked for virus and worms, Sasser.B.Worm for example is extremely rife at the moment

also scan with ad-aware or spybot or similar

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yes used ad aware, spybot s&d, got sygate pro running, protowall and avast pro

neither of the firewall show any blocked packets either that would stop this working

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    anyone got ne ideas?

am struggling here guys! need help!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    try cycling your modem

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    What's your OS? Do you have .NET installed on your system?
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'><span style='font-familyptima'>L8R&#33;
    Lzzrdboy</span></span></span>

Tylertoo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    The problem is obviously not with your OS or your physical network, otherwise K-lite would not work either. So it is something specific to your IE connection, or possibly your DNS setting.

Changing to a proxy in a different country suggests that the proxy you normally use is down, or behaving incorrectly. Why do you need to use a proxy? Try turning that option off completely, and disable automatic configuration. You might be pleasantly surprised by the performance.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Lzzrdboy@12 May 2004 - 13:21
    What&#39;s your OS? Do you have .NET installed on your system?
    xp

and i dont know whether i have .net

how do i find out and if i do, why did u ask? what could be wrong with it?

@rossco, am on adsl thus no modem to cycle..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by lynx@12 May 2004 - 14:20
    The problem is obviously not with your OS or your physical network, otherwise K-lite would not work either. So it is something specific to your IE connection, or possibly your DNS setting.

Changing to a proxy in a different country suggests that the proxy you normally use is down, or behaving incorrectly. Why do you need to use a proxy? Try turning that option off completely, and disable automatic configuration. You might be pleasantly surprised by the performance.
    i dont usually use a proxy at all and i dont have the auto detect settings on

i turned the proxy on in desperation and this is the only way ie or nething connected with it will work

i agree that it cant be my os or physical network.

how and what are u thinking that may be wrong with my dns setting? i tried a lot of things with that last time and it didnt work but am open to suggestions. Waiting for a response from my isp now but they are useless

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    The reason I asked about .net is because there are known issues on ms.com regarding certain versions of IE and .net running together on the same system. Not specific to your problem but may be a contributing factor...

The reason I asked about your OS is because you did not previously mention what it was...
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'><span style='font-familyptima'>L8R&#33;
    Lzzrdboy</span></span></span>

Tylertoo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast