Thread: Sound, No Video

Poster
    I've had a problem playing mpegs for a long time, but have been too lazy to fix it lately. It started with WMP not being able to stream mpegs, now I can't even play them on my local hard drive (the files work in VLC, but I hate VLC).

I'm nearly possitive its a codec problem, but I don't know which one is causing it. I only have the k-lite mega pack installed for codecs. I've tried dissabling ffdshow, that didn't help.....any ideas which one would be causing this?

To clarify, when I play an .mpg or .mpeg I get sound, but the video stays on the first frame. If I try to seek ahead, WMP crashes. Other players do similar things, with the exception of VLC.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Do you also have problems playing mp3's in wmp 9? cause i have the same problems including the problem with mp3's i uninstalled the k-lite codec pack and every thing works fine now

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I use winamp for MP3's, but they work fine in WMP

After a few reboots its working now, even streaming. I think disabling ffdshow solved my problem, it just took a while to kick in.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    A tip for people with similar problems:

There is a small tool called GraphEdit (freeware, made by Microsoft). With this tool you can load a media file and it will show you all DirectShow filters that are used to play that file. (in the form of a little graph, hence the name)

That way you can easily see which ones may be causing the troubles.