Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Coming Back In The Console Business?

Poster

RUMOR: At E3, Sega will announce it is getting back into the console business.

Source: An e-mail blast inviting press to Sega's "mystery event" at E3.

The official story: "SEGA cannot comment on rumors relating to its exclusive press event on day one of E3. SEGA remains excited about its powerful lineup of yet-to-be announced titles."--Sega spokesman.

What we heard: Ever since Dreamcast production ceased in 2001, the console's diehard fans have held out hope that it would rise from the ashes. This week, hope came in the form of a one-paragraph press invitation to Sega's E3 presentation. "Learn about SEGA's 2004 line-up and hear BIG news you'd NEVER guess," read the invite, which promised "explosive news--something even YOU won't be able to guess!" (Emphasis in the original). Within minutes, Sega loyalists were churning out messianic predictions of a new and improved Dreamcast. "Financially revitalized, finally debt-free, Sega now firmly believes it has what it takes to rule the roost," read one. But before you break out the straightjackets, consider this: Amusement-machine giant Sammy is Sega's majority stockholder, and its president Hajime Satomi is Sega's chairman. This year, Sammy's new Atomiswave arcade platform will replace the veteran NeoGeo format. The NeoGeo also came in a home console version which had a customer base fanatical enough to shell out hundreds of dollars per game--in other words, a proven (if small) market. The Atomiswave's hardware is even more compact than the NeoGeo's. Sammy has announced Sega will focus on developing games for the Atomiswave. Could Sega's big announcement be a new, Sega-branded home console based on the Atomiswave? Or is all this much ado about nothing?

Bogus or not bogus?: Although it's an intriguing theory, it's probably bogus. Note to Sega: kudos for making one publicity e-mail go a long way.

2. Games   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    That would be simply....amazing!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Games   -   #3
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    The possibility of Sega creating another console to be the Dreamcast's successor - There is a god.

4. Games   -   #4
    Wanna bet it's just another Sonic game ?

5. Games   -   #5
    BANNED
    i hope not m8..they were pretty shit imo.The only good console was the mega drive with sonic..They best abt em is the games they produce..

6. Games   -   #6
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    wen i first read this i thought it was crap but now that i think about it it makes complete sense...
    sega is tryin 2 corner the market, they prob figure that they had those contracts w/ sony and nintendo signed 2 years ago so they could release games on those consoles and continue makin money, allowing them 2 work on a new better system, releasing it 1 to 2 years b4 the PS3 and XBOX2 would allow them 2 get a lot of sales and possibly prevent ppl from buying the new systems if they just bought the new sega.

any1 agree w/ me?

sega will have a new console released b4 sony, microsoft or nintendo can release theirs, allowing them 2 grab more of the consumers. their for having the top system for the time, segas got it all planned out
    tYiA

7. Games   -   #7
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    didnt they try this tactic with the dreamcast?

where did that leave them

8. Games   -   #8
    Bowen747x's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by scribblec@3 May 2004 - 20:57
    didnt they try this tactic with the dreamcast?

where did that leave them
    im not exactly sure but i beleive the dreamcast came out AFTER the ps1 and n64 therefore preventing ppl from buying the dreamcast bcuz they alrdy had a good system
    tYiA

9. Games   -   #9
    Twist3r
    i hope they make a new jetsetradio for there new counsole

10. Games   -   #10
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    no the ps1 and n64 were nothing compared to the capabilities of the dreamcast, the dreamcast was ment to be a competitor to the ps2 hence both being 128bit consoles, the dreamcast did well untill the release of the ps2 when the sales started dropping and when the ps2 dropped in price that was the final nail in the coffin for teh dreamcast

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast