Thread: Newell Demos Source-based Counter-strike

Valve founder says reworked versions of all original Half-Life content will be available when Half-Life 2 ships "this summer." First footage inside.

Today at E3, many attendees were getting a feeling of déjà vu. Once again, Valve founder Gabe Newell was on hand to show off Half-Life 2. Once again, he promised those present that the now-infamous sequel to the legendary shooter would ship later in the year. Granted, this time around he didn't give an exact date, just saying "this summer."

However, Newell did have some new tricks up his sleeve--sort of. The crowd at the VU Games booth were treated to a demonstration of the new Counter-Strike based on Half-Life 2's source engine. While the 90-second demo did sport some snazzy new lighting and particle effects, it also looked awfully familiar to many C-S veterans. That is because it was a classic Counter-Strike map, Aztec, with much of the same gameplay features as the earlier version of the game (i.e. shooting, running, grenade-tossing, etc.).

However, the fact some of the demonstration's content was recycled didn't dampen the crowd's medium-hot enthusiasm. In fact, Newell promised that Source-reworked versions of all original Half-Life content, including Team Fortress, would be available "when Half-Life 2 ships." Newell did not mention whether the reworked H-L content would be distributed via Valve's Steam delivery service, retail discs, or both.
    watch the vid here

2. Games   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I figured that would happen.

Very smart too. Keep the inner workings of the game and upgrade the graphics engine.

That would make HL2 "just another group of maps."
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Games   -   #3
    true... very true