Windows notepad is simple & good but it misses a few Vital things.
Notepad2 has all of them and its V.light.+Free
I needed it cause of drag and drop which is not in notepad.
In preferences you can simplify it to the Windows Notepad interface.
Get it Here - http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
The original Notepad shipped with Windows is probably the handiest program of all times, small, fast, without frills! Notepad2 tries to follow this principle, it's a small, fast and free text editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages.
• Customizable syntax highlighting:
• • C/C++, C#, Java, VB, Pascal, Assembler, SQL, Python, NSIS
• • INI, REG, INF, BAT, DIFF
• Drag & drop text editing inside and outside Notepad2
• Basic regular expression search and replace
• Useful word, line and block editing shortcuts
• Rectangular selection (Alt+Mouse)
• Brace matching, auto indent, long line marker, zoom functions
• Support for Unicode, UTF-8, Unix and Mac text files
• Open shell links
• Mostly adjustable
New in Notepad2 1.0.09
• Insert time/date (short form/long form) (Ctrl+F5, Ctrl+Shift+F5)
• Insert filename/path and filename (Ctrl+F9, Ctrl+Shift+F9)
• Added missing copy line command (Ctrl+Shift+C)"
[img]http://www.flos-freeware.ch/img/np2scr1.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
[img]http://www.flos-freeware.ch/img/np2scr2.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>