Thread: Aronofosky To Direct Watchmen

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Ain't It Cool News recently reported that Pi director Darren Aronofosky will be directing the film adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's Watchmen.

During an interview with screenwriter David Hayter, revealed some background on the situation.

States Hayter:

"It is definitely disappointing not to be able to direct the film, but we got into our second studio deal and it became increasingly clear that I was going to continue to have trouble getting the film made the way those of us who are fans know it must be made, until I gained more weight as a director.

"I have spoken with the Producers about a couple of different things I can do to both retain my involvement in the film and to help ensure that the film retains its integrity. They have been very supportive of myself and this project for the past two years and continue to desire my creative support in terms of the script, the characters and the world. Please assure the fans that

"I will NEVER give up on creating a truly great Watchmen film that both honors and celebrates the Graphic Novel, and illustrates to the movie-going Audiences what a genuinely great comic-book story can do."

Personally, I can't see it ever working. How could they possibly keep the same ending as the comic without offending the Western World?

There are too many 911 parallels. So what, I suspect, we'll get is a contrived, shabby script which negates the original concept of the comic.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I&#39;ve never heard of Watchmen, but I know Arnofsky is a good director.

There are too many 911 parallels.
    In either case, I hope they have the courage to be true to the story and not be influenced by fear.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Blade025's Avatar Poster
    yeah wtf is watchmen?? is it a new superhero??

GO LEAFS GO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    cockboy's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Blade025@15 May 2004 - 01:43
    More like OLD super heroes,anyway, Excellent news&#33;
    The watchmen is a great comic novel that will translate into a good movie, depending on the director, of course.
    He had better be good.
    First paragraph from book,
    RORSCHACH&#39;S JOURNAL. OCTOBER 12TH, 1985:
    Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. this city is afraid of me. I have seen it&#39;s true face.

D2D (Rorschach)

P.S. check amazon if you want to know what it&#39;s about, just type watchmen&#33;

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Originally posted by Blade025@14 May 2004 - 16:43
    "The Watchmen" was part of a movement in the 1980s called "revisionist superheroes," which broke away from a lot of the traditional superhero ideas. other comics in a similar style include "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," "Miracleman," and "Brat Pack."

the common themes of these series are things like:
    *you&#39;ve gotta be a real psycho, to run around in your longjohns and beat people up in alleyways every night. if you&#39;re psycho enough to do that, you&#39;re probably a pervert too.
    *what kind of sex do superheroes have? freaky superhero sex?
    *there isn&#39;t a huge difference between hero, vigilante, and villain. or savior and tyrant. they&#39;re almost interchangeable.
    *why do superheroes hang out with young teenage sidekicks?

etc etc etc.

the basic idea is that the characters are not pure good or pure evil, they&#39;re as complicated and messed up as people are in real life. in some ways, those series had a pretty big influence on comics, &#39;cause suddenly everyone was trying to imitate it by making their characters into tortured souls who hang out in the sewer all the time. but in other ways, it didn&#39;t have much impact at all, since comics are still business-as-usual and almost all the characters are still one-dimensional good guys and bad guys.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    This movie would seem best directed by M. Night Shymalan.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232