Thread: Ram Timings

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    K, so my Overclocking is progressing well now - its my first time, but Im getting the hang of it

Anyhow, Ive got a P4 2000 @ 2300 (20*115) running stable with 1.575 Vcore. I have 512MB PC2700RAM.

Now i want to go up a little further: I upped the fsb to 117 and the Vcore up to 1.625 to try to keep it perfectly stable. When I run a Prime 95 torture test with no RAM, it lasts a fair with no errors, though if i run it with all the RAM tested etc. it errors out after about an hour. So this brings me to my question:

In the bios I can change the CPU/Memory ratio between Auto, 1:1, 3:4 or 3:5.
    I did the last test on 1:1 to see what happens and this is when i got the 1 hour error - would I gain stability from upping it to 3:4, and if so do I lose speed? (ill mainly be using for movie encoding)
    <insert signature here>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    as i know best to keep em sync for stability the bandwith will prob flush with one of the other bus&#39;s agp pci...with my amd i set stock fsb lower the multilier so its 20 -30% lower then higher the fsb 200-250 or as you can go til your stable..increase the multiplier again...higher vcore as you go and the vdimm if u need to...maybe maybe the agp...my board has a bug the fsb has to be set 133 with the jumpers to go 200+...you need to mix it with out increasin to much voltage so it dont crash later on from the heat...

abu has intel...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Your memory is DDR333, which means it can easily handle speeds up to 166MHz. At 1:1 your fsb speed (117MHz) is the same as your memory clock so there shouldn&#39;t be any memory problems.

I would even suggest that 3:4 means that your fsb speed is 3/4 of your memory speed which would push that up to 156MHz, still not a problem. A ratio of 3:5 would push your memory clock to 195MHz, and obviously that would be a problem.

The other question you need to ask is whether the chipset can handle the speeds you are pushing at them. You would need to give us your mobo details before we can answer that one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    lamseys RAM guide

hope it helps

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    ah right, thanks for that - i kinda got that it was 166 from overclockers.com, but started to get confused...

basically, setting it to 1:1 with 117fsb will make it run at 117 whereas 3:4 sets it to run higher (and perform better)

presumably from this, as with Ocing, its possible it wouldnt run stable?

I have an Asus P4S333 MB, chipset SiS 645, Southbridge Sis IDX

cheers
    <insert signature here>