Thread: Running More Than One

Poster
    i have xp and my computer acts a little sluggish... when i pushed alt ctrl delete the windows task manager open and when i press the processes tab the pragram
    svchost.exe is listed 4 times. it says the user name being used by is system(2) and network service(1) and local service(1)

what is this program used for and why is it being runed four times.... help... if i dont need it how can i turn it off. ps it is using like 16,oook of mem usage..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    all those files are needed for windows xp to run, the way to speed it up is click on Start, Run, And typin MSCONFIG . Click on the startup tap and remove any files that u don't need plus run ad aware or spy bot on your machine.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by dbz@14 May 2004 - 15:47
    i have xp and my computer acts a little sluggish... when i pushed alt ctrl delete the windows task manager open and when i press the processes tab the pragram
    svchost.exe is listed 4 times. it says the user name being used by is system(2) and network service(1) and local service(1)

what is this program used for and why is it being runed four times.... help... if i dont need it how can i turn it off. ps it is using like 16,oook of mem usage..
    they are all to do with the services on your computer, one is for your netowrk card, it handles all network type stuff, one is for your sound, and im not too sure about the others, but im guessing one has to do with power, and the other might be something with cpu anyways they are normal.

but do what raven has said, and also defragment your hard drive. diskeeper is good for that. and antivirus scan...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    services.msc works better. It's all explained on Black Viper's website.
    X-Setup can also help speed up your system.

Good luck.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    No doubt "services.msc" is the way to go when tweaking winXP, although stopping any of your svchost.exe&#39;s won&#39;t hurt a thing. You may just have to reboot your PC.

I would recommend running your AV with current updates as you may have a trojan.

cheers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Actually, services.msc is one of the best ways to tweak your PC. You can easily save tons of RAM and page file usage by stopping and disabling services from starting up. The process svchost.exe is related to system services. There is a virus that tried to hide itself by having the name scvhost.exe, but just using Black Viper&#39;s advice can rid of many of the unneccesary processes.

--EDIT--
    I read a post wrong. I thought harrycary was downing the use of services.msc. I think I need a nap.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.