Thread: Buying Domain Names

I'm thinking about buying a domain name and building a business oriented site. But I've never bought a domain name before - just wondering what's the easiest and cheapest way of doing it?
    Is it best to get your domain name through your host, or is there a better way?

Thanks

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    BANNED
    i would go iindependent from your host...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=domain+na...le+Search&meta=

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Originally posted by ck-uk@15 May 2004 - 15:10
    i would go iindependent from your host...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=domain+na...le+Search&meta=
    Thanks for the reply ck, but is there any reason why it's better to be independent? Also, I see a few of them say stuff like "the domain name is yours for two years" - what happens at the end of the two year term usually?

Obviously you'd have to pay again to have it for another two years, but can they demand a lot more money from you if you've generated a lot of traffic on the name and it's suddenly popular? Are they obliged to sell it to you again, or can they just pass it on to the highest bidder?

I'm not expecting it to be a huge success or anything, but it's worth knowing these things so that you don't end up getting ripped off

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    i've also been looking into this for the same reasons, and i should be having a chat with someone about it later, if i get any useful info i'll let you know this evening
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Originally posted by brenda@15 May 2004 - 15:30
    i've also been looking into this for the same reasons, and i should be having a chat with someone about it later, if i get any useful info i'll let you know this evening
    Thanks, Brenda; I appreciate it. Maybe I'm being a bit over-cautious, but I really hate setting myself up for a fall, so I like to weigh-up all my options first.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Originally posted by blunt_on_tour@15 May 2004 - 09:25
    Thanks for the reply ck, but is there any reason why it's better to be independent? Also, I see a few of them say stuff like "the domain name is yours for two years" - what happens at the end of the two year term usually?

Obviously you'd have to pay again to have it for another two years, but can they demand a lot more money from you if you've generated a lot of traffic on the name and it's suddenly popular? Are they obliged to sell it to you again, or can they just pass it on to the highest bidder?

I'm not expecting it to be a huge success or anything, but it's worth knowing these things so that you don't end up getting ripped off

and the end of the term you registred your domain for (generally 1-3 years), it becomes public again, and anyone else that wants that domain name can register it.
    Generally though, your registrar will send you a notice shortly before you domain expires, and ask if you want to renew it.

No, they can't turn around and charge you more. Domain Registration is an open market now. Just doing a search for those two terms yeilds tons of results will varying prices.

I say go for it. Having a domain and some webspace is handy & fun to play with.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Originally posted by Sparsely+15 May 2004 - 18:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparsely @ 15 May 2004 - 18:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blunt_on_tour@15 May 2004 - 09:25
    Thanks for the reply ck, but is there any reason why it&#39;s better to be independent?&nbsp; Also, I see a few of them say stuff like "the domain name is yours for two years" - what happens at the end of the two year term usually?&nbsp;

Obviously you&#39;d have to pay again to have it for another two years, but can they demand a lot more money from you if you&#39;ve generated a lot of traffic on the name and it&#39;s suddenly popular?&nbsp; Are they obliged to sell it to you again, or can they just pass it on to the highest bidder?

I&#39;m not expecting it to be a huge success or anything, but it&#39;s worth knowing these things so that you don&#39;t end up getting ripped off

and the end of the term you registred your domain for (generally 1-3 years), it becomes public again, and anyone else that wants that domain name can register it.
    Generally though, your registrar will send you a notice shortly before you domain expires, and ask if you want to renew it.

No, they can&#39;t turn around and charge you more. Domain Registration is an open market now. Just doing a search for those two terms yeilds tons of results will varying prices.

I say go for it. Having a domain and some webspace is handy & fun to play with.
    [/b][/quote]
    So are you saying that near the end of the term you can swap your domain name to another registrar, if you&#39;re not happy with the renewal price of the one you originally got it through?
    In that case, all you&#39;ve got to &#39;worry about&#39; is if somebody trademarks the name instead of you and then whips it out from under you. After reading the links ck-uk listed, this happens sometimes, because people don&#39;t think to register the name as a trade mark - cost about &#036;350 to do, so I don&#39;t suppose you&#39;d bother unless you were pretty flush with cash, or you were really concerned that it might happen.

Thanks for the help, everybody. It&#39;s a bit less daunting now that I know a little bit more about it

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    So are you saying that near the end of the term you can swap your domain name to another registrar, if you&#39;re not happy with the renewal price of the one you originally got it through?

exactly.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #10
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    register with a large trusted registrar with a low price. i use 1and1.com, its unlikely they will increase the price as they have to stay competitive and trustworthy by clients.

i wouldnt use them to host my site though because there are other cheaper webhosts, just register the domian and host your site with someone else. i use ipowerweb.com as host.
    Robert00000