Thread: New To Gaming

Hi
    i'm new to pc gaming with these newer games. I was wanting to know if i needed to have a broadband connection to play thses games or could i play them offline by myself. I have Unreal tournament 2004 and Far Cry. These are stil in thebox unopened. Also my system has a Xp2600, Gforce4 mx440 128, 1Gb ram will these games run properly. Any input welcome.

Thanks

2. Games   -   #2
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Originally posted by jasmy@17 May 2004 - 10:06
    Hi
    i&#39;m new to pc gaming with these newer games. I was wanting to know if i needed to have a broadband connection to play thses games or could i play them offline by myself. I have Unreal tournament 2004 and Far Cry. These are stil in thebox unopened. Also my system has a Xp2600, Gforce4 mx440 128, 1Gb ram will these games run properly. Any input welcome.

Thanks
    Hi welcome to the forum

ok both games can be played quite happily offline, the mission in far cry is a one player mission in any case. I haven&#39;t tried the online stuff.

UT2004 offline means that you play against bots rather than other &#39;people&#39;, you work your way up a sort of league playing harder opponents as you go.

as for your system, I am not sure your graphics card may struggle a bit particularly with Far Cry, but irt has an auto detect facility to set your well settings, UT2004 is a liitle easier.

I am no expert though in the compatibility thing so if youy have bought them all you can do is try them, you may want to get the patches once you have installed them

have fun, both are great games

3. Games   -   #3
    Poster
    well explained zero...

Far Cry will not run to well with that graphic card im sorry... well it may run but not at decent framerates and i alwayz believed that you need to experience a game rather than play it. And you need decent framerates at a decent resolution to experience a game...

i suggest you upgrade to a R9600 pro or XT (or even better ... a R9800XT / X800 if you have/wanna spend the cash) before playing these games... because you might get put off the game itself if you have to play it with crappy settings..

4. Games   -   #4
    Originally posted by Dray_04@17 May 2004 - 12:28
    well explained zero...
    sometimes I amaze myself

ta dray

5. Games   -   #5
    Thanks for info

6. Games   -   #6
    Poster
    lol you amaze us all

no prob jasmy welcome to the board

7. Games   -   #7
    Originally posted by jasmy@18 May 2004 - 00:25
    Thanks for info
    no probs, I retract my earlier welcome as it appears you have been here for a while, just stating very quiet.

8. Games   -   #8
    No you do not need broadband to play online anyway, and if you brought Ut2004 what you need to do before installing anything is pot the little key in the manual or inside box, or better yet PM me ands i&#39;ll add you to my online game buddies

9. Games   -   #9
    Originally posted by Dray_04@17 May 2004 - 07:28
    well explained zero...

Far Cry will not run to well with that graphic card im sorry... well it may run but not at decent framerates and i alwayz believed that you need to experience a game rather than play it. And you need decent framerates at a decent resolution to experience a game...

i suggest you upgrade to a R9600 pro or XT (or even better ... a R9800XT / X800 if you have/wanna spend the cash) before playing these games... because you might get put off the game itself if you have to play it with crappy settings..

actually an old geforce 2 mx400 64mb plays the game perfectly fine at 800x600 with medium detail setting averaging about 32-35fps. so u WONT need to upgrade at all if u can stand lower detail setting in far cry.

i wouldnt know about UT2004 tho.
    Gaint Antispyware is the #1 greatest Spyware/Adware cleaner ever created, I recomend it to everybody, even if you don't think you need it.

10. Games   -   #10
    Originally posted by pc&#045;gamer&#045;dude+18 May 2004 - 17:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pc-gamer-dude @ 18 May 2004 - 17:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dray_04@17 May 2004 - 07:28
    well explained zero...

actually an old geforce 2 mx400 64mb plays the game perfectly fine at 800x600 with medium detail setting averaging about 32-35fps. so u WONT need to upgrade at all if u can stand lower detail setting in far cry.

i wouldnt know about UT2004 tho. [/b][/quote]
    My GeForce4 MX440 played FarCry like crap. I was getting 13-15 fps. Just got my Ti4200, now im getting over 30.

Id upgrade if I were you.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.