Thread: I Need Help Dealing With Ftps...

Alright for some reason now... my computer refuses to connect to ANY FTP server. It's really making me angry. I help run a few websites and need access to the FTP and HAD access to the FTP servers until about a week ago when I started getting this message...

Connecting to blahblahblah.com
    Connected to blahblahblah.com -> IP=**.**.***.** PORT=21
    Connection failed (Connection lost)
    Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1
    And then it just keeps trying to reconnect but is never succesful... at first I thought it was that something wacky had gone on with my firewalls... so I turned one off (Norton) then tried again... nothing. Then I turned off that pesky Windows firewall... still nothing... then I turned them both off... again... nothing. So then I thought... "Hmm... maybe my ISP did something... '" So I called my ISP (Time Warner Cable's RoadRunner).. they said they hadn't done anything... so now it's got me thinking that MAYBE the HOSTS file is somehow blocking something? Or is that not possible? ANy help would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks thanks thanks.

Oh and by the way... I don't think it has anything to do with port 21 because I can't connect to ANY FTP server using ANY port...
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I eat quarters.
    My Hero</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I doubt it&#39;s the HOSTS file, but you can do this:
    You can use a text editor, like Notepad, to open the HOSTS file and search for the websiteb (using search and replace or something similar) you&#39;re trying to go to and if it&#39;s there, just delete the entry and restart your FTP program.
    BTW, what program are you using? I haven&#39;t use too many, but I&#39;ve found SmartFTP to work really well.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I use FlashFXP the most but have used SmartFTP... it does this no matter what FTP client I try to use... so I&#39;m stumped. I&#39;ll check the HOSTS file but you&#39;re right I probably am wrong... anyone else have any ideas?
    My Hero</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I was just wondering if something in your FTP program that went wrong. Maybe a reinstall is in order, perhaps?
    Also, if you&#39;re behind a router without forwarding ports, that could be it, I suppose.

I don&#39;t think proxies would be a problem, would they? I don&#39;t use proxies. I heard of someone had a problem connecting to certain things and found out that their ISP was using proxies, but I&#39;ve never heard of that before.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    No router... umm... what else... Oh yeah... I&#39;ll try to re-install... dunno why I didn&#39;t think of that in the first place... I&#39;m just stubborn I guess... umm... I don&#39;t think my ISP is using proxies... and I certainly don&#39;t use them. Thanks for your help Xero, and I&#39;ll try a re-instlal right now... anyone else have ideas just incase the re-install doesn&#39;t work?
    My Hero</span>

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Engvalt@16 May 2004 - 23:47
    No router... umm... what else... Oh yeah... I&#39;ll try to re-install... dunno why I didn&#39;t think of that in the first place... I&#39;m just stubborn I guess... umm... I don&#39;t think my ISP is using proxies... and I certainly don&#39;t use them. Thanks for your help Xero, and I&#39;ll try a re-instlal right now... anyone else have ideas just incase the re-install doesn&#39;t work?
    system restore
    Robert00000