Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'nerve Gas Bomb' Explodes In Iraq

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless

'Nerve gas bomb' explodes in Iraq

An artillery shell containing a small amount of the nerve gas sarin has exploded in Iraq.

Brig Gen Mark Kimmitt said the blast had caused a small release of the substance and two people had been treated for exposure to the agent.

The substance was found in a shell inside a bag discovered by a US convoy a few days ago, he said.

It appears to be the first evidence of nerve gas existing in Iraq since the start of the US-led war last year.

'Limited effect'

Gen Kimmitt said the dispersal of the nerve agent from a device such as the homemade bomb was "limited".

"The former regime had declared all such rounds destroyed before the 1991 Gulf War," he said.

However, a senior coalition source has told the BBC the round does not signal the discovery of weapons of mass destruction or the escalation of insurgent activity.

He said the round dated back to the Iran-Iraq war and coalition officials were not sure whether the fighters even knew what it contained.

Sarin is a toxic nerve gas 20 times as deadly as cyanide.

A drop the size of a pin-head can kill a person by effectively crippling their nervous system.

The gas is one of a group of nerve agents invented by German scientists in the 1930s as part of Adolf Hitler's preparations for World War II.

Although the Germans never released sarin in battle, it was used to lethal effect by Iraq during the 1980s both in the war against Iran and against the Kurds.

After the Gulf War, United Nations inspectors found large quantities of sarin in production at an Iraqi chemical weapons plant.

The Japanese doomsday cult, Aum Shinrikyo, also used the nerve agent in a Tokyo subway in 1995, in which 12 people died.

Source - BBC News

Now call me an old cynic but this is a timely piece of news, just when the US needs some good publicity to come out of the Iraq debacle.

I don't need to point out that since the fall of Saddam 12 months ago, the country has been overrun by foreigners, and this could have come from anywhere... Doubtless in the near future an analysis of this sample will indicate that it came from Saddams supposedly destroyed stocks, and more larger samples will now come to light, yadda yadda yadda... Do you think some people actually still exist who DO believe something a politician says?

So there you go, Blair and Bush were right after all, and we can now all sleep soundly in our beds...

EDIT: Story updated.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Ohhh do not worry.Somebody will come along and say that Bush Planted it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    This is timely but it has nothing to do with the prison scandal and has everything to do with June 30 drawing nearer. The terrorist and insurgents are getting desperate now because we are winning the war and the handover of power back to the Iraqi people is a month away. They've tried everything else to beat us but they haven't succeeded so now they are going to resort to this. This is the first case and I fully expect to see a lot more of this as we get closer to June 30.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@17 May 2004 - 17:51
    Ohhh do not worry.Somebody will come along and say that Bush Planted it.

They've already faked going to the moon, carried out Perl Harbor, killed princess Diana so I'm sure "governmental agents" can stretch to a bit of sarin in a bomb

This sarin may have com in from outside or may have just been stockpiled by some Iraqis and then sold to the terrorists carrying out these attacks.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Sorry but that "story" means squat!!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by Busyman@17 May 2004 - 12:14
    Sorry but that "story" means squat!!!!
    Why because it proves that you might have been wrong all along?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank+17 May 2004 - 13:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigBank_Hank @ 17 May 2004 - 13:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@17 May 2004 - 12:14
    Sorry but that "story" means squat&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Why because it proves that you might have been wrong all along? [/b][/quote]
    No offense Hank but you slap Bush&#39;s balls at any chance.

A hint of Sarin in an artillary shell in a country overun by non-Iraqis and you are ready to jump on the WMD bandwagon.

Don&#39;t get me wrong, first and foremost I am American. If Bush really turns out to be right about the WMD&#39;s then I&#39;d be the first to back him. (on that at least )

The difference is I am critical of any politician. I do not blindly follow a person who, to my knowledge, hasn&#39;t done one single good thing of note in his entire tenure as President.

That smacks of ineffectiveness in any future presidency.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I haven&#39;t made the I told you so post about WMD&#39;s because this is just one case. I think that there is much more of this to come the closer we get to the handover of power. The insurgents are losing and they&#39;re getting desperate. They tried just about everything to get us to pull out of there and nothing has worked, so now they&#39;re resorting to this.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@17 May 2004 - 13:43
    I haven&#39;t made the I told you so post about WMD&#39;s because this is just one case. I think that there is much more of this to come the closer we get to the handover of power. The insurgents are losing and they&#39;re getting desperate. They tried just about everything to get us to pull out of there and nothing has worked, so now they&#39;re resorting to this.
    Alot of these "insurgents" are pouring in from other countries. There&#39;s no way to prove the weapons are Iraqi native.

I think that there is much more of this to come the closer we get to the election.

Nice try though. Thanks for coming.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by Busyman@17 May 2004 - 17:48
    I think that there is much more of this to come the closer we get to the election.
    seeing a pattern about to emerge?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast