Thread: Anyone Help?

Over the last week I have been having problems with my internet speed. I'm only on a 56k modem, but when I look at my staus after connecting, it says 14.4, or 27 or 18..etc. I've asked the internet provider and they say there is no problems on any nodes. I've run a virus/trojan check no problems. MY computer says its working perfectly, however when I run a diagnostic I get the message

"The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application....."

How can I find out what application is using this port and is there anything I can do about it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    more than likely you get this message because you are trying to check the port while connected to the internet. If you are having slow connection times it is your phone line, it has line noise or static. Call the phone company.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by firefox@18 May 2004 - 20:43
    more than likely you get this message because you are trying to check the port while connected to the internet. If you are having slow connection times it is your phone line, it has line noise or static. Call the phone company.
    Nice one Firefox i think you are right, I've been getting a lot of crackling.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Update modem drivers lately? Install filters on phone jack's . Replace old phones.
    Check this guide you might find it helpfull.
    The highest speed I ever got was 44 - 48k.

http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml