Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot Problem

lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+11 June 2004 - 02:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 11 June 2004 - 02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@10 June 2004 - 20:55
    <!--QuoteBegin-leonarmston
    @10 June 2004 - 23:04
    Hi Guys, I am also gettin a problem when booting, after it has detected all my IDE drives ithis message displays

"Secondary IDE cable 80 no conductor installed"

It then boots up normally.

What have I gotta do to get rid of this message and am I harming the computer my continuing to use the computer after this message.

I think it is complaining that you have a 40-wire cable, and it wants an 80-wire one.

Without an 80-wire cable the maximum speed (between drive and mobo) will be 33MHz, it will still function but not at maximum performance.
    Isn&#39;t it Mb/s (or maybe mbps ) not mhz ? [/b][/quote]
    Nope, it really is the bus frequency.

MB/s would imply that was just the data rate and would say nothing about the speed of the command interface. Bus frequency implies the same speed for data AND the command signals.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by lynx+11 June 2004 - 00:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 11 June 2004 - 00:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leonarmston@10 June 2004 - 23:04
    Hi Guys, I am also gettin a problem when booting, after it has detected all my IDE drives ithis message displays

What have I gotta do to get rid of this message and am I harming the computer my continuing to use the computer after this message.
    I think it is complaining that you have a 40-wire cable, and it wants an 80-wire one.

Without an 80-wire cable the maximum speed (between drive and mobo) will be 33MHz, it will still function but not at maximum performance. [/b][/quote]
    Yeh it is a 40 pin IDE cable so will have to buy a new one, ah well. At least its working didnt notice a reduction in speed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+11 June 2004 - 11:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 11 June 2004 - 11:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@11 June 2004 - 02:00

Without an 80-wire cable the maximum speed (between drive and mobo) will be 33MHz, it will still function but not at maximum performance.

Isn&#39;t it Mb/s (or maybe mbps ) not mhz ?

MB/s would imply that was just the data rate and would say nothing about the speed of the command interface. Bus frequency implies the same speed for data AND the command signals. [/b][/quote]
    oh, ok.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+11 June 2004 - 21:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 11 June 2004 - 21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@11 June 2004 - 11:09

MB/s would imply that was just the data rate and would say nothing about the speed of the command interface. Bus frequency implies the same speed for data AND the command signals.
    oh, ok. [/b][/quote]
    No probs.

Like with anything, if you don&#39;t ask you probably won&#39;t find out.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+11 June 2004 - 16:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 11 June 2004 - 16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@11 June 2004 - 21:20
    Originally posted by lynx@11 June 2004 - 11:09

oh, ok.
    No probs.

Like with anything, if you don&#39;t ask you probably won&#39;t find out. [/b][/quote]
    that is true...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12