Thread: Installing Graphics Card

Poster
    my computer has been playing up recently with it not letting me install SP1 and whenever i restarted the pc i would have to mess about constantly reseting and going into safe mode... anyways problem #1

When I try to install SP1 from microsoft i get the following error
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    <a href=&#39;
    http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/...error.jpg&#39; target=&#39;image&#39;>Image Resized
    [img]http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/zeromarius24/sp1error.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>
    without being able to retry and sp1 fails to install. I post it in hardware world because i notice it&#39;s a driver issue just not sure what the driver is for yet. So how would i get round that to be able to install SP1?

My second problem is I have misplaced my ATI installation CD to install the hardware and after needing to unistall then realising the CD is missing. I am unable to use system restore because the unistallation of the hardware doesn&#39;t show up and i have already tried. Would it be possible to download the installation CD for my ATI 9200 card? ( and yes i know it aint a great card )

edit, after reading the title it is driver related. or atleast the first one is

edit2, i have tried the ATI site but dunno what im lookin for
    Also im not too bothered bout the first problem but i need my ati card working

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    It doesn&#39;t actually matter what driver it is, SP1 installation does not replace active drivers until the next time you reboot so I cannot understand why it objects. The only thing I can think of is that it is that something else has the driver open. My guess is that it is your virus scanner. You MUST disable virus scanners before installing service packs.

Look here for XP drivers for ALL Radeon cards. Note that it recommends installation of SP1 first.

Edit: go for the full package (29.7MB)
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    i think your problem with that atapi.sys , is that you have something like damon tools , or something with virtual drives running , if so , just uninstall it and sp1 should then be ok

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Atapi.sys is a hardware layer driver for PHYSICAL ata devices. It is monitored by virus scanners to detect attempts to modify boot sectors. This is logically just about the lowest point that a virus could attack since it is present and active on all systems that have ata devices.

Virtual devices install themselves as scsi drives, which is higher up the chain of drivers and doesn&#39;t touch the hardware layer.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by lynx@19 May 2004 - 19:24
    Atapi.sys is a hardware layer driver for PHYSICAL ata devices. It is monitored by virus scanners to detect attempts to modify boot sectors. This is logically just about the lowest point that a virus could attack since it is present and active on all systems that have ata devices.

Virtual devices install themselves as scsi drives, which is higher up the chain of drivers and doesn&#39;t touch the hardware layer.
    wow, you truely do learn something new everyday&#33; I managed 2 get the video card fixed and i&#39;m trying the sp1 now

thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    lol, i disabled my anti virus nothing happened so i boot up in safe mode after downloading the update and get the same error

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    hey Marius24,

let us know , if it was the antivirus , or a virtual drive like damon tools that was blocking sp1 will ya, cause i wanna see who is right