Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gain Programs

I have reached the stage where I am sick of the differing volume levels on my MP3's.

I have heard about programs which alter the gain on your files so that they are all the same. Is this possible ?

Does it work ?

Whic programs do you reccomend ?

Hwo long do they take on each file ?

I hear that Windows Media player temporarily adjusts the gain of each file when it plays them. Is this so ?

Do other players do this ?

Thanks

Digby
    What color is your Adkaf ?

2. Music   -   #2
    I use MP3Gain because the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless.

Tired of reaching for your volume knob every time your mp3 player changes to a new song?
    MP3Gain analyzes and adjusts mp3 files so that they have the same volume.

MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does some statistical analysis to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear.
    Also, the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless. There is no quality lost in the change because the program adjusts the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding.

3. Music   -   #3
    Thanks Aerial.

I am not so sure I like the look of the fact that it puts a tag in ones Mp3's as this will then make them unique on the net and therefore not multi-user downloadable ?

Any other programs anyone ?

Prefferably free and on the fly with Winamp or Foobar.

Regards

Digby
    NZ

4. Music   -   #4
    Surely someone else has some comments on this subject ?

Regards

Digby

5. Music   -   #5
    yep. I use mp3 gain, cos it works, well, and i've have'nt managed to find another prog for the job. Will keep looking at this thread tho, would be nice to try a new one, not that I have any complaints about mp3gain.

6. Music   -   #6
    Thanks Tensegg.

Do you know if it changes the file size or the hash ?

Regards

Digby

7. Music   -   #7
    Originally posted by digmen1@2 May 2004 - 03:06
    Thanks Aerial.

I am not so sure I like the look of the fact that it puts a tag in ones Mp3's as this will then make them unique on the net and therefore not multi-user downloadable ?

Any other programs anyone ?

Prefferably free and on the fly with Winamp or Foobar.

Regards

Digby
    NZ
    With the exception of players that do there own normalization, no matter what you do with your mp3 it will always make them unique on the net. Maybe try DL from the same album?

8. Music   -   #8
    ive tested that mp3 gain and while its good it's just not practical if you have a lot of music. I was looking for a software like this too. But instead of reencoding again it would just move the volume controls up and down automatically based on the sound levels. But no luck with it im afraid.

9. Music   -   #9
    Thanks Guys

Good Comments.

I hear that Windows Media Player does its own normalisation on the fly ! (boo hoo)

Any others that do this ?

I will try my Foobar as I quite like that player.

Regards

Digby

10. Music   -   #10
    As far as I know digmen, it doesnt change the file size or the hash, at least nothing I have ever noticed or been affected by, I just put a compilation album thru it, changed the gain quite a bit overall, and everything came out at the other end exactly the same, apart from the volume, which was all nicely levelled out. I'm saying as far as I know cos prolly some techy dude will spot minute changes I never did

Can't see any reason whay it would make a file unsharable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast