Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading Recommendations

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Just a little list for people to add their reading recommendations to.

A few from me:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords)
    The Serpentwar Saga (Shadow of a Dark Queen, Rise of the Merchant Prince, Rage of a Demon King, Shards of a Broken Crown) and the Riftwar Saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon (and I'll add Prince of the Blood and the King's Buccaneer here since they happen at the same time)) by Raymond E. Feist. I'll throw in the Empire Series (Servant of the Empire, Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire) by Ramond E. Feist and Janny Wurts as well, but it takes a bit to get into.
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
    Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence
    The Count of Monte Cristro by Alexander Dumas
    The Prophet by Kahil Gibran
    Illusions by Richard Bach
    Hamlet by William Shakespeare (although I'd really have to recommend most of Shakespeare's works )
    Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (as well as other works of his such as Farenheight 451 and a number of the short stories)
    The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe (as well as his other works)
    The poetry of John Keats

That's what I recall off the top of my head at work. I'll add to it later. Hopefully others will add to this list, as it was before the unfortunate deletion.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. Lounge   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Kevin Mitnick - Art Of Deception
    Eazy read about hacking, conning people/companies, security and getting caught.
    (available on kza in .pdf or pm me)

"The Art of Deception is an excellent book. While the tactics could be used by hackers, the book is more about exploiting trust than computers and even non-techies can learn from its lessons.
    Pros

* Fascinating read even for non-techies
    * Valuable information for corporations to know

Cons

* Moral of the story gets redundant
    * Not much can be done to secure the human element

Description

* Much of the book reads more like a novel than a book about hackers- interesting read.
    * Learn how bits of information that seem meaningless or useless alone provide the keys to the vault.
    * The best firewalls and intrusion detection can't stop the employees from giving out information.

Guide Review - Book Review- The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick
    While some debate that he is the best hacker ever- Kevin Mitnick is certainly the most notorious hacker. Having been the target of an FBI manhunt and eventually being sentenced to jail for his exploits, Kevin Mitnick's name has become almost a household word. As more attention is focused on information security, companies around the world deploy the latest firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software and other security measures to keep hackers out. Meanwhile, little or no attention is paid to the weakest link of corporate security- the users. This book will illustrate just how useful seemingly useless information can be when put together by someone who knows how."

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Hey, Zedaxax, I heard mofos just stole your post for his book report.

The Lazy Whiner Rant
    My Best Quality MoviesMy Live Concerts — [url='http://rapidshare.de/files/22222332/My_Shares.xls.html[/url]

4. Lounge   -   #4
    THE DA VINCI CODE and ANGELS and DEMONS by Dan Brown

THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Seabold

THE LONG HARD ROAD OUT OF HELL by Marilyn Manson

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTACY by Irving Stone

MEDEA by Euripides

BASH; LATTER DAY PLAYS by Neil LaBute

HEDDA GABLER by Henrik Ibsen

5. Lounge   -   #5
    pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    A few recommendations from what I've been reading:

Tennesse Williams - The Glass Menagerie, Orpheus Descending, just pick up a book of plays or stories from him. It's all good.

Lorraine Hansberry - A Raisin in the Sun

Alton Brown - I'm Just Here for The Food - I've recommended this book before, but it's a really interesting read on food, science, and uh... food science.

Edgar Allan Poe - The Complete Poetry of.. - Any collection of poetry by Poe is good. Borders has a sale on his Complete Works.
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    I've enjoyed pretty much everything by iain m banks, he writes both sci-fi (The Cultrue) and a variety general fiction. If you want to try the sci-fi books i'd recommend "the player of games" or "consider philebas". If you prefer normal fiction i quite liked "the business" and "espedair street".

Anything by George Orwell, he's a fantastic writer and really easy & fun to read. I particularly like "1984" and "down and out in paris and london"

edit: mixed up street names :">

7. Lounge   -   #7
    pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    The Code Book - Simon Singh
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    No comics yet? For shame!

If you're looking for good comics, I wholeheartedly recommend Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon and Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson. Both are wonderful, epic adventures of two guys trying to do what's right in a world doing everything wrong.

As for books, off the top of the head I can only recommend anything by Philip K. Dick, Isaac Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, as well as Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Ex Machina - an excellent comic, which keeps throwing out plot twists right from issue 1

Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore - the best graphic novel in my ever changing opinion. A horribly twisted story which twisted my emotions throughout, i thought it was great
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    'To kill a mockingbird' by Harper Lee
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast