Thread: Microphone Talk Progs?

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I’ve been using my microphone to talk online and the two programs that I know of are a bit wank.

There’s Skype from the creators of Kazaa, it works ok sometimes, but breaks up a lot and really goes to shit if you want to browse at the same time.

and there's Gossiptel which takes ages to set up and also doesn't run too smoothly

So does anyone know of any other progs, ones that work really well?

Edit: the microphone option on MSN Messanger wont work for some reason? would prefer not to use it anyway.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    skype is supposed to work gr8....... havent tried it myself though......

what kinda conncetion are ya on.....
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Originally posted by Storm@10 June 2004 - 11:49
    skype is supposed to work gr8....... havent tried it myself though......

what kinda conncetion are ya on.....
    A fast DSL cable, so's the other person I'm talking to. Skype does work fine sometimes, but it does break up enough to annoy you and become useless, even when you're not browsing and have nothing else on in the background.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Depends on what you want it for. There are other progs out there, which are mainly for gaming. I use ventrilo myself (not the latest version tho, due to changes in the licence). It uses a very small amount of BW but has very good sound (you can choose what kind of compression it uses and such).

The drawback (I guess) is that you need a server for it and all who use it needs the client (I run the server on an old p2 400 with linux). It was a piece of cake to set it up (haven't tried the windoze verison of the server so dunno about that, but since a friend of mine managed to set it up, I'd say it's extremely easy ^^)

if you want to check it out head over to: www.ventrilo.com

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    paltalk or yahoo both have voice. paltalk has better quality but you need a good popup blocker for paltalk. A-Toolbar has the best