Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Licensed Anime

the recent licensing of One Piece and Full metal are what got me thinking about this.
    Obviously by buying/viewing licensed anime through the proper channels you are supporting the anime makers and they can therefore afford to make more anime for our viewing pleasure. I suppose it also is an acceptance of the legal situation, because I assume many fansubbing groups are stationed in hte states and therefore they would easily be targetable for copyright violations. (I'm sure its a lot easier than for Japanese companies).
    However, one of my main gripes is that the companies nearly always dub the shows they buy and imo it always sounds shit. Also I don't think shows licensed for US tv should stop fansubbing because we don't get it in Britain and I assume the same goes for every other english speaking part of the world.
    The state of anime has changed greatly since the days when this self imposed rule was created, and theres no longer any need imo for such strong protection and endorsement of the animes that are licensed.

Personally if i'm not thoroughly hooked on an anime then once its licensed I don't go looking for dodgier fansubbing groups who are still churning it out. I do this not because i really agree, but more because it seems to be the way the anime community wants it to be. However, things like One Piece and Full Metal Alchemist, I'd still download because my curiousity gets the better of me.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of this, and how many people have qualms about downloading licensed stuff.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    The only problem I got with licensed anime was with Wolf's rain...

It was licensed in the U.S of A. and probably woudn't be available in Europa for years.
    So yes, I confess I dled it...
    And if Naruto was licensed, I would probably dl it, though I would sorely miss the quality files offered by Anbu & AonE

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Originally posted by ilw@11 June 2004 - 00:10
    because I assume many fansubbing groups are stationed in hte states and therefore they would easily be targetable for copyright violations. (I'm sure its a lot easier than for Japanese companies).
    Actually, I do believe there are a few companies that send out scripts for the specific reason of fansubbing.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    Personally I don't care, none of the shows are licenced in sweden ^^ (well, except for shows I never watch (ie. pokemon, sailormoon and the likes).

As for one piece being licenced, it's been licenced by one of the worst companies =/ (but it will still be fansubbed, just *because* of this).

As for companies sending out scripts for the sole purpose of fansubbing, never heard of. I have, however, heard of companies using fansubs as a base for their own translation. I have also seen ALOT of subs on dvds that are right out wrong.

Also, I never use the eng dub audio track so I'd prefer just japanese audio with subs. This is not available tho, which is a shame. It would definitly cut the prices as they wouldn't have to make another audio track.

Some ppl also NEED to realize that internet is NOT equal to the US. So, even if a show is fansubbed into english, there are still several other countries that has this as their main language and are NOT affected by US licencing.

So, in closing. I don't give a shite about shows being licenced in the US, it doesn't make any what so ever difference for me.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    I could care less if an anime was licensed.

But i am pissed that 4kids got the rights to one piece. They are called 4KIDS. Dammit. The only reason that i do care is becuase people in america will grow up thinking luffy is ash from pokemon (i heard a rumor about this) and that luffy ate the gum gum fruit (press release from the 4kids website) and sanji has either a lollypop or a toothpick in his mouth (more rumors). One peice, one of the greatest anime ever, is going to be butchered by 4kids. Captain smoker? How are they going to get rid of him?

Honestly, I don't buy anime DVDs. So me watching fansubs won't make me not buy DVDs. Whats the difference if I watch anime on the TV or the computer? I change the channel during commericals. I don't see how this is any worse then downloading music

edit: forgot to say...
    I think that me telling people what anime is good and to watch it more then makes up for me, 1 person, not watching it on TV

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Poster
    I try not to due to the fact that when an anime gets licensed, the current, and more than often, the better (more accurate) group of fansubbers leave the scene. Some junky fansubber would sub the new released RAWs in a totally 'different' language, they rename a character's name and misintepret most of the convos. But sometimes, I put up with their incompetency, and just download their fansubs.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Originally posted by danne@11 June 2004 - 07:06
    Some ppl also NEED to realize that internet is NOT equal to the US. So, even if a show is fansubbed into english, there are still several other countries that has this as their main language and are NOT affected by US licencing.

So, in closing. I don't give a shite about shows being licenced in the US, it doesn't make any what so ever difference for me.
    I apologize, but I find this a bit harsh, as i have read and reread this topic, and can not for the life of me find any instance in which this is necessary.

So if possible, can we leave this my language is better than your language material to the losers in the world events section who feel the need to look down on others nationalities?

Thanks, have a nice day
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Tikibonbon@13 June 2004 - 02:59
    I apologize, but I find this a bit harsh, as i have read and reread this topic, and can not for the life of me find any instance in which this is necessary.

So if possible, can we leave this my language is better than your language material to the losers in the world events section who feel the need to look down on others nationalities?

Thanks, have a nice day
    I think you failed to realize what I was getting at. The statement has NOTHING to with anyone in this thread (or maybe it does ?)

The thing is, when a show gets licenced in the US, the US COMPANIES expect english fansubs to stop. Hence, English is not equal to US is not equal to Internet. NA citizens may download it or whatever, that isn't my problem. That's up to the morality of the person affected by the licencing.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I get a lot of my stuff from australia, and on pretty much all dvd's you get both the english dub, and the original japanese with good subs.

Sure the english sound is a waste of space, but it's still good buying the dvd's.

Since the sound and picture quality is usually better on the dvd's I kinda' feel it's worth buying them, and sometimes the extras ain't half bad either.

Not saying I don't download though, but if it's good i may end up buying it too.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Just bumping an old topic to say:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
    Kenran Butoh Sai has been licensed!

http://v2.animesuki.com/licensed.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast