Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Ronald Reagan On Everything Thread

chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 June 2004 - 10:22
    I have gathered as much.

Morning, Chalice.
    Morning J2.

I'm no fan of Maggie. Poor Dennis knew when to get out.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by chalice@18 June 2004 - 03:15
    Some of us have no desire for a United Kingdom.
    i have an off topic question about that chalice, i won't ask it here (not the longue and such a large off topic swing is not appropriate) if you are as i think from Northern Ireland then you would be one of the few people entitled to answer it so with your permission may i pm it?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by vidcc+18 June 2004 - 16:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 18 June 2004 - 16:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@18 June 2004 - 03:15
    i have an off topic question about that chalice, i won&#39;t ask it here (not the longue and such a large off topic swing is not appropriate) if you are as i think from Northern Ireland then you would be one of the few people entitled to answer it so with your permission may i pm it? [/b][/quote]
    Be my guest, Vid.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Originally posted by j2k4@18 June 2004 - 03:10
    vid-

You noted, correctly, that:

Reagan to his credit saw an opportunity and took it. He raised patriotism to such a level that he could have been the worst president ever and he would still be loved. America needed to feel good about itself and reagan was very good at saying the right things to achieve that and that&#39;s what the voters saw in the campaign.

The question is, therefore, do you find this "talent" of Reagan&#39;s to be of any value whatsoever?
    In my usual passionate and non politician way i can state quite categorically and without any doubt in my mind whatsoever....yes and no

i shall explain so i don&#39;t cause the confusion i have in some of the earlier post

yes we need someone that can make us feel that he is a strong confident leader so there is value in that. raising moral in dire times is certainly a valuble "talent" to have, however it is one thing to talk a good fight and another to do what one promises.
    we have debated some of the things that i felt Reagan lacked on and not many good things even though i tried to agree with some things but just felt a bit of restraint would have been better before unleasing the beast.
    After 9:11 we heard speeches such as "we are going to kick some ass" and other such patriotism raising speeches. They were needed and after making such a speech Bush could have had a free run to abolish taxes for everyone earning &#036;1,000,000 per year and nobody would have noticed . A speech that says " We will look into the cause and see what we can do limit our chances of being a target again" just wouldn&#39;t work, but the second if put into action would possibly have more long term beneficial results.
    This is not to say that we should let things pass by unpunished.

here&#39;s a question for you.

If a meteor the size of the moon was going to hit the earth in 48 hours, who do you think would be able to break the news to you and make you think you stood a chance of suvival even though it was hopeless..Reagan, Bush jnr. or Clinton...that&#39;s where you will see the value of the "talent" in question

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Originally posted by chalice@18 June 2004 - 10:15

Im all in favour of self determination of every Country in the Kingdom...except Scotland.

And thats only &#39;till we can move the border further south....say Watford.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by Skweeky+18 June 2004 - 19:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Skweeky @ 18 June 2004 - 19:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chalice@18 June 2004 - 10:15

Im all in favour of self determination of every Country in the Kingdom...except Scotland.

And thats only &#39;till we can move the border further south....say Watford. [/b][/quote]
    Erm....that was me, as you probably gathered

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+18 June 2004 - 12:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 18 June 2004 - 12:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Skweeky@18 June 2004 - 19:32
    <!--QuoteBegin-chalice
    @18 June 2004 - 10:15

And thats only &#39;till we can move the border further south....say Watford.
    Erm....that was me, as you probably gathered

[/b][/quote]
    I am begining to suspect you are the norman bates of the board...do you talk in different voices too?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    She tells windows to remember her....so i come in, and im logged in as Skweeky.

It sometimes takes me a couple of posts to realise

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by vidcc@18 June 2004 - 11:29
    here&#39;s a question for you.

If a meteor the size of the moon was going to hit the earth in 48 hours, who do you think would be able to break the news to you and make you think you stood a chance of suvival even though it was hopeless..Reagan, Bush jnr. or Clinton...that&#39;s where you will see the value of the "talent" in question
    I&#39;m afraid I wouldn&#39;t be able to equivocate as you did, vid.

I could not be beguiled by any of them in that circumstance, though I&#39;d love to have chatted with ole&#39; Ronaldus Magnus.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Reagan endorsed a constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast