Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Athlete Of The Century

manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by GepperRankins+16 June 2004 - 11:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GepperRankins @ 16 June 2004 - 11:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Busyman@16 June 2004 - 11:41
    <!--QuoteBegin-GepperRankins
    @16 June 2004 - 07:36
    athlete..... i dunno

but no-one in any sport dominates as much as micheal schumacher

Car Racing?

That&#39;s like saying a video game player is athlete of the century.
    outside america the tracks are challenging. you need to be pretty tough to race round those tracks for over an hour [/b][/quote]
    Oh be quiet, the amount of physical training a F1 driver does compared with an athlete such as a swimmer, rugby player or a boxer is miniscule.

Besides, it&#39;s all about the car. If you put Schumacher in a Minardi and Zsolt Baumgartner in a Ferrari then Mr Baumgartner would quickly develop a taste for podium champagne and schumey wouldn&#39;t be getting quite so many accolades from people who like watching cars go fast
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    he&#39;d still come close. you knows it. i dont think the ferarri is the reasons why he always has a huge lead over everyone.

and believe me the drivers have to be fit

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Originally posted by manker+16 June 2004 - 12:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 16 June 2004 - 12:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by GepperRankins@16 June 2004 - 11:49
    Originally posted by Busyman@16 June 2004 - 11:41
    <!--QuoteBegin-GepperRankins
    @16 June 2004 - 07:36
    athlete..... i dunno

but no-one in any sport dominates as much as micheal schumacher

Car Racing?

That&#39;s like saying a video game player is athlete of the century.

outside america the tracks are challenging. you need to be pretty tough to race round those tracks for over an hour
    Oh be quiet, the amount of physical training a F1 driver does compared with an athlete such as a swimmer, rugby player or a boxer is miniscule.

Besides, it&#39;s all about the car. If you put Schumacher in a Minardi and Zsolt Baumgartner in a Ferrari then Mr Baumgartner would quickly develop a taste for podium champagne and schumey wouldn&#39;t be getting quite so many accolades from people who like watching cars go fast [/b][/quote]
    You could be wrong there

A resemblance to F1

Valentino "The Doctor" Rossi drove the superior Honda RC211V last year in Motogp and seemed untouchable in 2003 and there for winning the 2003 world title. But then he decided to leave Honda and join the slower Yamaha team and this season he showed he can win even in a slower bike. By winning 3 of the 5 races.

And therefore it doesn&#39;t all come down to the bike/car

Put Schumacher in a BAR/Renault/Mclaren/Williams

Then he would still dominate F1

B) Archwolf (Big Bike/Car sports fan)

4. Lounge   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by GepperRankins@16 June 2004 - 12:17
    he&#39;d still come close. you knows it. i dont think the ferarri is the reasons why he always has a huge lead over everyone.

Yes, I know they have to be fit. considerably fitter than my dad but definitely not as fit as a mediocre 1500 metre runner, therefore schumacher cannot be a candidate for athlete of the century

Wrt a Ferrari drive. I do believe it&#39;s boosted Barrichello&#39;s career - how was he getting on before Ferrari took him on? also Eddie Irvine&#39;s points tally took a tumble when driving for Jordan after leaving Ferrari. My point is that throughout his career at Ferrari, Schumacher has an advantage of a varying degree over every other driver. He is very good but the statistics flatter him.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Originally posted by manker+16 June 2004 - 12:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 16 June 2004 - 12:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GepperRankins@16 June 2004 - 12:17

Yes, I know they have to be fit. considerably fitter than my dad but definitely not as fit as a mediocre 1500 metre runner, therefore schumacher cannot be a candidate for athlete of the century

Wrt a Ferrari drive. I do believe it&#39;s boosted Barrichello&#39;s career - how was he getting on before Ferrari took him on? also Eddie Irvine&#39;s points tally took a tumble when driving for Jordan after leaving Ferrari. My point is that throughout his career at Ferrari, Schumacher has an advantage of a varying degree over every other driver. He is very good but the statistics flatter him. [/b][/quote]
    Irvine went to Jaguar after his career at Ferrari

6. Lounge   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by &#045;Archwolf&#045;@16 June 2004 - 12:28
    You could be wrong there

A resemblance to F1

Valentino "The Doctor" Rossi drove the superior Honda RC211V last year in Motogp and seemed untouchable in 2003 and there for winning the 2003 world title. But then he decided to leave Honda and join the slower Yamaha team and this season he showed he can win even in a slower bike. By winning 3 of the 5 races.

And therefore it doesn&#39;t all come down to the bike/car

Put Schumacher in a BAR/Renault/Mclaren/Williams

Then he would still dominate F1

B) Archwolf (Big Bike/Car sports fan)
    I&#39;m not wrong.

I deliberately said Minardi. not even Michael the Great can make up the difference when a car goes 2 seconds a lap slower

Schumacher is the best driver and it would have been open to debate if I&#39;d said he wouldn&#39;t win the F1 championship in a Williams. but I didnt. lol

7. Lounge   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by &#045;Archwolf&#045;@16 June 2004 - 12:40
    Irvine went to Jaguar after his career at Ferrari
    haha you&#39;re right but thats just nitpicking.

my point still stands. Irvine got considerably less points at jaguar the season after he left ferrari.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    that&#39;s true but eddie was never top driver with only four wins. and Jaguar was never a top team/sub-top team

9. Lounge   -   #39
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by &#045;Archwolf&#045;@16 June 2004 - 12:44
    Jaguar was never a top team/sub-top team
    You&#39;ve just agreed with my assertion that it&#39;s more to do with the car rather than the driver&#39;s skills

10. Lounge   -   #40
    No I didn&#39;t mean it like that

off course schumacher won&#39;t win in a minardi, but if you give him a bit help by giving him BAR/Renault/Mclaren/Williams he would dominate

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast