Thread: Revolution

On stage at Nintendo's pre-E3 2004 press conference, Iwata said:

"Different also defines our approach to our next home system. It won't simply be new or include new technologies. Better technology is good, but not enough. Today's consoles already offer fairly realistic expressions so simply beefing up the graphics will not let most of us see a difference. So what should a new machine do? Much more. An unprecedented gameplay experience. Something no other machine has delivered before.

"The definition for a new machine must be different. I want you to know that Nintendo is working on our next system and that system will create a gaming revolution. Internal development is underway.
    Q: How long has the Revolution been in development?

A: Preliminary development on Revolution began shortly after the release of Nintendo GameCube.
    Q: What are Revolution's technical specs?

A: Currently unknown.

Rumors abound indicated that Nintendo could separately be working on two systems and that ultimately one would be chosen for retail. System 1 allegedly featured a 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 processor, 512MBs of RAM, and a 600MHz graphics chip. System 2 allegedly featured dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors. 256MBS of DDR Main Memory RAM, 128MBS of GDDR3 Video RAM and a 500MHz graphics chip. Both systems allegedly featured a built in 15GB hard drive. As of this time, these rumors cannot be validated.
    Q: How will Revolution be unique?

A: That is the big question. The console is codenamed Revolution for a reason: Nintendo expects it to be revolutionary. The system will, according to Nintendo, fundamentally change how games are played -- literally. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said in recent interviews that the dual-screened Nintendo DS offers a hint of what to expect from Revolution. DS players can use a stylus pen to input control data into the portable device. It's very possible that Revolution may feature similar functionality.

Nintendo believes that technology alone cannot advance videogames, which is why it plans to take Revolution into a dramatic new direction.

Iwata in June 2004 described Revolution as a videogame machine "of a different nature that does not follow the conventional path of new game systems that increase speed and visual quality for making elaborate games." He added: "The rule of satisfying customers by increasing specifications worked once, but no longer applies now."
    Revolution will launch sometime in 2006.

IGN

Should be interesting.

2. Games   -   #2
    Nintendo being as vague as ever...

3. Games   -   #3
    bizarre.

i dont know if this not normalness is the death-throws or theyre genuinly bored with the current state of conssole competition

4. Games   -   #4
    i dont know if this not normalness is the death-throws or theyre genuinly bored with the current state of conssole competition

People have been asking this since the mid-90's.

Death throws ? I doubt it. Nintendo is about as rich as medium-sized third world country, and until PSP launches they've got the handheld market locked, so I don't see them collapsing soon.

And remember, people said Miyamoto was nuts when he presented a little game with an ape and a plumber...

Nintendo is doing what it's always done : it's own thing. Sometimes this works (the NES), sometimes it doesn't (Virtual Boy), but it's always good fun.

Good enough for me.

5. Games   -   #5
    With luck next year will be the year of xbox 2 ps3 and the big Ns new toy gonna be great.