Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Labour

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    OK...

A lot of elections in the UK yesterday, including here in Newcastle.

I never thought, until a couple of years ago that id ever say "I am Glad that Labour Doesnt Control Newcastle".... however thats exactly how it is now.

I cant remember Newcastle ever being anything but Labour...

If they have lost our vote, they are in serious trouble...

Tony Blair will search long and hard to find any real comfort to ease his party's humiliation in the local elections.
    As deputy prime minister John Prescott confessed, Labour was given a serious kicking by voters who delivered it the worst election result in living memory.

Only the most pessimistic had believed the party would be pitched into third place behind the Liberal Democrats and the Tories - the first time a governing party has suffered that fate.

Source

We've started getting rid of our Trash.... I hope our American Friends can soon start cleaning up there own house

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Politics do seem to have taken a strange turn.

The results of the Euro elections on Sunday will also be interesting.

Labour will have to really focus on their core vote and traditional values if they want to turn this around by next year.

However, the thought of Howard and his evil hand in charge of the country may just be enough to save Blair.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I had my vote yesterday, Labour didn't get my vote in any of my 5 options

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by Biggles@11 June 2004 - 18:15
    Politics do seem to have taken a strange turn.

The results of the Euro elections on Sunday will also be interesting.

Labour will have to really focus on their core vote and traditional values if they want to turn this around by next year.

However, the thought of Howard and his evil hand in charge of the country may just be enough to save Blair.
    The Tories couldnt have controled a Government on their turnout either...

If this had been a General Election, on these results..

The LibDems would have held the balance of power, however there would have been a Tory PM.

I can live with that... If the LibDems have the "balance of power", nothing too drastic can be put through by the party in "power"

My money is on Mr Blaire losing the Leadership before a General Election.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    In case anyone wants up-to-date results in an graphical format, BBC News Local Elections Tracker

As for my area, well I'm still waiting for them to be counted. I'll say this though - Although my area has been a Labour stronghold for years, I can see a hell of a shake-up in the Borough Council >D As for me, out of the 9 (1 European, 3 Borough Council, 5 Ward Parish Council) I chose, only one was Labour and that was on the parish council - The rest were Lib Dem.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by Illuminati@11 June 2004 - 18:25
    In case anyone wants up-to-date results in an graphical format, BBC News Local Elections Tracker

As for my area, well I'm still waiting for them to be counted. I'll say this though - Although my area has been a Labour stronghold for years, I can see a hell of a shake-up in the Borough Council >D As for me, out of the 9 (1 European, 3 Borough Council, 5 Ward Parish Council) I chose, only one was Labour and that was on the parish council - The rest were Lib Dem.
    On a parish council, you probably know the guy anyway.

Its a lot easier to vote for someone you know is a good joe, no matter what party (s)he's in.. than a face on a leaflet riding a slate

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    RF, I like what you said about getting rid of the trash.

Where I live the councillors have generally been Conservatives. But they have been backing a road scheme which will cost a fortune in money, businesses, homes and safety, and at the end of the day won't really help the traffic situation.

Yesterday those Conservatives were kicked out, two of the replacements being independents (I'm not sure of the other).

I'm beginning to think there is still hope, and that the electorate have finally had enough of politicians who simply want to jump on the gravy train.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I see that Ken's anti-war, Tony can't argue with me, stance has proved effective and, despite suggestions that it would be tight, has cruised home quite comfortably.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Biggles@11 June 2004 - 21:20
    I see that Ken's anti-war, Tony can't argue with me, stance has proved effective and, despite suggestions that it would be tight, has cruised home quite comfortably.
    Strange, now that he is the official Labour candidate and doesn't have one running against him, the result is still a lot closer than last time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    New labour old labour hum same guys same screw you over nothing changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast