Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Fan

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+12 June 2004 - 13:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 12 June 2004 - 13:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tormentor@12 June 2004 - 14:35
    Wtf? Why cool a router that dosnt need to be cooled anymore then it is.
    routers DO need sufficient cooling.

when mine gets hot, it no longer shows up in my network connections on my computer, and when i try to access teh config it says "server busy"....i cool it down a little and it starts working again... [/b][/quote]
    If it stops working its odd how the manufactures di not add better stock cooling. They should have known that there was a problem and added better cooling features.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Tormentor+12 June 2004 - 15:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tormentor @ 12 June 2004 - 15:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@12 June 2004 - 13:02
    <!--QuoteBegin-Tormentor
    @12 June 2004 - 14:35
    Wtf? Why cool a router that dosnt need to be cooled anymore then it is.

routers DO need sufficient cooling.

when mine gets hot, it no longer shows up in my network connections on my computer, and when i try to access teh config it says "server busy"....i cool it down a little and it starts working again...
    If it stops working its odd how the manufactures di not add better stock cooling. They should have known that there was a problem and added better cooling features. [/b][/quote]
    they did in the later revisions.

I have revision B, and as luck would have it I just realized me and scottwile both have teh same router lol.

scott, what revision is yours? (if it is the black one u have revision a, if it is silver it is either b or c, to know look at the model serial number on teh bottom...it should start with a B or C...)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    its silver, brand new. says "B" at the beginning of the serial code.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile@12 June 2004 - 19:56
    its silver, brand new. says "B" at the beginning of the serial code.
    ok it&#39;s same one as mine then gets hot eh? i added a heatsync to mine but soon after removed it...i gotta get some of that arctic silver tape for it, i was using double sided tape and it started to smell after a while like burning...lol.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    yeah, gets a bit warm. likly very warm in the summer. stock 2800+ heatsink works very will just sitting on top. anything is better then nothing.
    i am thinking about opening the top and mounting a fan just for fun&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile@12 June 2004 - 20:41
    yeah, gets a bit warm. likly very warm in the summer. stock 2800+ heatsink works very will just sitting on top. anything is better then nothing.
    i am thinking about opening the top and mounting a fan just for fun&#33;
    ya while u want to do it for fun, i have to actually do it to actually cool mine

seriously, im gonna cut the top to be a 60mm fan and volt mod it to 7v so it will move the air around better than those really wussy vents on the left and right...should have had top vents eh?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    yeah for sure, those side vent&#39;s don&#39;t let any air in at all.

might put a 120mm fan on mine

j/k

how do you volt mod?

how many computers do you have running off that router?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile@12 June 2004 - 20:47
    yeah for sure, those side vent&#39;s don&#39;t let any air in at all.

might put a 120mm fan on mine

j/k

how do you volt mod?

how many computers do you have running off that router?
    3 computer&#39;s, and a PS2 at the moment...

soon getting a network switch&#092;hub and moving my computer, the PS2, and the switch to the basement and running a 100ft wire to my current room to connet the hub to teh router.

I also have a P133 computer which i might hook up to the network to leave on downloading or something like that, but im starting to think of just throwing the thing out (it doesn&#39;t een have a case lol, it&#39;s in my dresser drawer )

edit: forogt, to volt mod means that you are making the fan run at 7v or 5v instead of the default 12v, right? (i hope it does)

to do it:

look at a molex wire, you see that it has a red, yellow, and 2 black wires.
    yellow=12v
    red=5v
    both black=ground

A normal 12v fan normally gets power from the yellow wire and a black wire.

to make them run at 5v, you would plug the wire going to the yellow into the red instead.

to get 7v, you plug the wire plugged into teh black into the red wire, and leave teh one plugged into the yellow at the yellow...

hope you understand that, lol.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    i get that.
    by the fans don&#39;t spin as fast when you volt mod do they?

i have 3 hubs. you could have one for nothing if there was an easy way too give it too you.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by scottwile@13 June 2004 - 12:58
    i get that.
    by the fans don&#39;t spin as fast when you volt mod do they?

i have 3 hubs. you could have one for nothing if there was an easy way too give it too you.
    I can ahve it? kool B)

how you gonna send it though? lol.

meh, the one im getting is only 20 bucks anyway, and it would probably be like 15 for u to ship it to me so it&#39;s not really worth it.

what brand, btw?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123