Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Note Of Appreciation To My U.k. Friends...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...for the lend of a former Head-of-State of great stature, Margaret Thatcher, and also a phenomenal tenor, Ronin Tynan, who graced the Reagan funeral with magnificent versions of Ave Maria and Amazing Grace, while also doing interim duty with the sitting choir.

Both lent extreme grace to an extraordinary event; especially Mrs. Thatcher, who is quite frail these days due to recent medical difficulties.

Her remnant mettle was on display today as she honored her colleague of years past.

You are lucky to have them yet, and hopefully for some years to come.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Maggie pity her party gave her the sack seems she thought she was above the qween but she was a good friend of ron and at the end that is what matters

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Poster
    Margaret Thatcher was the worst thing that ever happened to politics in the United Kingdom.

Her politics were those of greed and self-interest. Her policies destroyed countless lives and left a legacy of "Thatcherism" which is a shame on our history.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I can't say I recall her years with much pleasure. She brought discord and division in her wake in whatever she touched. Even the Conservatives are wary of her legacy - most distancing themselves from her more cranky ideas, like "there is no such thing as society". She was, latterly, able to reduce everything to a Profit and Loss statement.

Personally, I think she lost it, which is why she was sugically removed from office via an in-house coup.

Is there any mechanism in the US to remove a President if his closest aids and Cabinet think he is perhaps a little flakey? No particular reason, just interested.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by j2k4@12 June 2004 - 03:09
    ...for the lend of a former Head-of-State of great stature, Margaret Thatcher, and also a phenomenal tenor, Ronin Tynan, who graced the Reagan funeral with magnificent versions of Ave Maria and Amazing Grace, while also doing interim duty with the sitting choir.

Both lent extreme grace to an extraordinary event; especially Mrs. Thatcher, who is quite frail these days due to recent medical difficulties.

Her remnant mettle was on display today as she honored her colleague of years past.

You are lucky to have them yet, and hopefully for some years to come.
    Keep the Bitch

With my blessing

PLEASE

Keep the Bitch

She was never head of state, thats the Queen......she just thought she was.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    You would seem to be ruled by your emotions, the lot of you.

I appreciate your perspective(s), but on the international level, she was an important ally of the U.S., as is Tony Blair; for these alliances we are grateful.

It would appear Mr. Blair awaits a quick and unlovely exit also.

I wonder that your anti-Thatcher sentiment is coloring your thoughts of Reagan?

Funny Mr. Tynan doesn't merit any note; perhaps being Irish like Reagan is also a detriment.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Thatcher was worse than Bush.

She sold the family silver to pay for her mismanagement of the economy... even being, in theory, self sufficient in Oil couldnt pay for her crap... what a waste.

She only give a shit about her millionaire friends, whilst trying to dismantle the Welfare State as it cost too much... because her Tax Cuts were so big that she had to pay for them by selling off every profitable thing the Government had (which subsidised the Loss making Services, therefore making Government even more expensive).

She then sold of things that didnt even belong to the Government, but to Local Authorities (Water Authorities)...so helping create financial Crisis in those areas they had no control over.

Then she introduced Right to Buy... not a bad thing in itself, except that the Local Authorities werent allowed to use the money raised by selling off Social Housing, so creating a Housing Shortage of epic proportions that eventually lead to the Boom/Bust Housing Market we see today, were no one on reasonable wages can buy a house in some areas.

Yes, her Rich Friends made a bundle out of the Lower Middle and Working Classes...

She's an evil Bitch, and if the terrorists had actually got her in Brighton, there would have been Street Parties in many parts of Britain..

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I suppose you don't think much of Mr. Tynan, then.

Sounds like Maggie was trying to introduce the theoretical American "smaller government/capitalism" model to your country.

Much too traumatizing; I could have told her it would never work.

Even we only manage it in bits and pieces, and then only within the normal ebb-and-flow of American politics.

EDIT: I almost missed your assertion Maggie was worse than Bush: Duly noted, for future reference.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    In that poll, she would have been a 12

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@12 June 2004 - 08:24
    In that poll, she would have been a 12
    Well, I do remember her saying it would be painful.....

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast