Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White American's In Sports

Poster
    Im not normally a racial guy but I'v noticed that white players are not common in many sports.For emaple all basketballer's are black,and all best boxers are black.The only sports i can think of were they are good are hockey,golf,nascar racing.Dont mean to offend eny one but correct me if im wrong

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    There are alot of white basketball players but most are black, I guess they are just better athletes in some sports.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Tormentor@12 June 2004 - 22:51
    There are alot of white basketball players but most are black, I guess they are just better athletes in some sports.
    Dispite them only being only a small percentage of the population

4. Lounge   -   #4
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    CHICAGO -- Retired National Basketball Association superstar Larry Bird said the league lacks white stars and that nothing bothered him more as a player than when rivals sent another white man to guard him.
    Bird's comments came in an interview with ESPN alongside Magic Johnson, a retired black NBA star, for a show scheduled to be shown Thursday that also included NBA rookie stars LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony.

A partial transcript of the session was published Wednesday by USA Today.

Former Boston Celtics star Bird, president of basketball operations for the NBA Indiana Pacers, declined comment on his statements here Wednesday while watching NBA Draft candidates in a training camp.

Asked if the NBA lacked enough white superstars, the report said Bird, who is white, The legendary Larry Bird gets irritated when guarded by whites.
    replied, "Well, I think so. You know when I played you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league.

"I think it's good for a fan base because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white Americans. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited.

"But it is a black man's game and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Bird later spoke about feeling disrespected when rival coaches sent white players to defend him.

"I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me," Bird said. "I still don't understand why. A white guy would come out. I would always ask him, 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did your coach do this to you?'

"And he would go, 'No,' and I would say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me. You got no chance.' And for some reason that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy."

Bird later added, "I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me because it's disrespect to my game."

Johnson provided supportive comments in praise of Bird's reputation.

"We need some more LBs, Larry Birds," Johnson said. "You want that. Larry Bird, you see, can go into any neighborhood. When you say 'Larry Bird', black people know who he is - Hispanics, whites - and they give him the respect."

After Bird said he felt being guarded by whites was disrespectful of his skills, Johnson added, "Larry Bird was the only guy that was mentioned in the barbershop. And they will tell you, 'cause that is where all the talking in our community is, the barbershop or the playground."

Chicago Bulls coach Scott Skiles, a white player who like Bird grew up a high school standout in basketball-mad Indiana, and long-time Bulls player Charles Oakley, who is black, spoke to the Chicago Tribune about Bird's words.

"I respect Larry. And he's right," Oakley told the Tribune. "He has a lot of white stiffs on his (Indiana) team right now not doing much."

Of 408 players in the NBA last season, 76.5 percent were black, the Tribune reported.

Oakley called Bird's comment about black superiority "a bold statement" and added, "Larry had a lot of talent and certain people can say things and get away with them.

"If (black NBA stars) Allen Iverson or Latrell Sprewell said that, it would be a cover story."

Skiles played down Bird's comments, saying, "I'm fairly certain it wasn't meant the way it was portrayed. I think it's something drawing way too much attention already."

Skiles added that he did not think Bird made race an issue when he played, which came at the same time Skiles was a player in the league.

James and Anthony are quoted in the program as saying they believe race isn't an issue in the NBA, the Tribune reported.

"Why make a statement like that then?" Oakley said. "(Bird) said (blacks) are the best athletes, right? We're the best boxer, the best golfer, the best (female) tennis player. The only thing we're not good at is riding horses."

Oakley criticized the performance of Chinese center Yao Ming of Houston and German star Dirk Nowitzki of Dallas in making a point about race and NBA marketing.

"The majority of the fans are white and the league has a lot of European guys they want to make superstars, but all they can do is shoot," Oakley said. "A lot of white players play great in the regular season. But when crunch time comes, not too many of them show up.

"Dirk (Nowitzki), he's 7-foot-1. All he does is shoot jumpers. What is that? Plus, (Dallas) hasn't got out of the (Western Conference) playoffs. Yao Ming is 7-foot-6 and you don't even have to double-team him. (Houston) didn't get out of the first round of the playoffs." AFP

Source

It was ran in the Local NewsPaper also.I read it the other day.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Originally posted by J!GGY@12 June 2004 - 14:40
    and all best boxers are black.Dont mean to offend eny one but correct me if im wrong
    you are wrong
    the best boxers are, IMO, the Mexican fighters
    and dont throw heavyweight bullshit at me, they are boring as hell
    (and besides...the best heavyweight currently is Ukranian )
    I am talking about the lighter divisions, lightweights, welterweights, etc.
    (where the real action is)
    Mexicans dont get tall enough to be heavyweights
    and my favorite fighter, Tito Trinidad, is Puerto Rican
    (he is comin out of retirement..... )
    and his heir to the Puerto Rican fans' hearts is pretty tough as well (Miguel Cotto)
    Mickey Ward....Irish (retired, sadly)
    Arturo Gotti (Italian, I think )
    could name countless Mexican fighters that own the lighter divisions,
    but there is not enough forum space to list em

oh yeah...
    and arguably the best golf player in THE WORLD is Black/Chinese...not White
    do I really have to say his name?
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Behind every black one is a slower white one

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by FKDUP74@12 June 2004 - 19:53
    oh yeah...
    Who the hell is black/chinese?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Busyman+13 June 2004 - 22:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 13 June 2004 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FKDUP74@12 June 2004 - 19:53
    oh yeah...
    Who the hell is black/chinese? [/b][/quote]
    Tiger woods.He&#39;s good but i dont think he&#39;s the best,but then again i dont give a shit about golf.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    jetje's Avatar former star
    There are still a lot of good white basketball players, think of all the Yugoslavian and Kroatian players. Even the Dutch had one (but retired Rik Smits from the Pacers).

I think that a lot of black people truly believe their way to fame and money is more easy in sports/music then to do that by building a regular job carreer. So therefor they are far more dedicated into the sports/music. As it is one of the few opportunities they see to escape the ghetto&#39;s and poverty. But of every 1000 only 1 probably succeeds to make a decent living out of it (didn&#39;t check this statistics, probably even less then that&#33. Same goes for a lot of other sports btw. In europe you see that with soccer, where eastern Europe players and African players do exactly the same. It could be that for a lot of white people life isn&#39;t hard enough (too easy), you must be able to put everything aside to reach the top..... With talent alone you hardly gonna make it.

The NFL has a lot of black players but why are almost all quarterbacks white???
    Same goes for baseball where most pitchers are white???

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by jetje@14 June 2004 - 12:10
    There are still a lot of good white basketball players, think of all the Yugoslavian and Kroatian players. Even the Dutch had one (but retired Rik Smits from the Pacers).

I think that a lot of black people truly believe their way to fame and money is more easy in sports/music then to do that by building a regular job carreer. So therefor they are far more dedicated into the sports/music. As it is one of the few opportunities they see to escape the ghetto&#39;s and poverty. But of every 1000 only 1 probably succeeds to make a decent living out of it (didn&#39;t check this statistics, probably even less then that&#33. Same goes for a lot of other sports btw. In europe you see that with soccer, where eastern Europe players and African players do exactly the same. It could be that for a lot of white people life isn&#39;t hard enough (too easy), you must be able to put everything aside to reach the top..... With talent alone you hardly gonna make it.

The NFL has a lot of black players but why are almost all quarterbacks white???
    Same goes for baseball where most pitchers are white???
    The black quarterback situation is drastically changing.

One of the main reasons black players are not more into certain sports and positions in sports is simply lack of interest.

Another reason is coaches giving blacks the chance in the first place to prove themselves.

How many black hockey players are there?

Imagine if more blacks were actually interested. For the most part we are not.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast