Thread: What's Up With Firefox?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    whenever i right click a favorite in firefox 0.8, i get this little quare box instead of the dialog that should come up.

i noticed this happening just after i reinstalled windows about 3 weeks ago, but never got around to figuring out why...im actually not even sure if there should be a right click thing but:

Image Resized
    [img]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/wtfisupwiththis.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    see the little box to the right of "kazaa lite board"?

why does it do this?

btw, i posted this in neowin a few days ago, and the suggestions i tried were: upgrading to 0.9 (which i am using now, btw), uninstalling\reinstalling, switching themes, using no theme, differnt skins for windows.

anyone else got any suggestions?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Something in your profiles folder is probably causing that. When you uninstall, the profiles folder is saved, it's not removed.
    It's located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\profiles

Drag that profiles folder to your desktop to save some of the settings and delete the Phoenix folder. Reinstall and a new profile is created.

You can replace the booklmarks.html in the new profile with the one in the old folder, saved to your desktop, to get your bookmarks back.
    The cookperm.txt has your saved cookies in it, replace it also, if you like.

I'm not sure if you can use the old userChrome.css (in the chrome folder) in the 0.9 version, but I think you can. You don't need to unless you modified the old one. I changed mine with stuff like "use xp style menus'" and "make the search box flex wider"

You will need to redownload any extensions.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Jg427@13 June 2004 - 01:55
    Something in your profiles folder is probably causing that. When you uninstall, the profiles folder is saved, it's not removed.
    It's located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Phoenix\profiles

Drag that profiles folder to your desktop to save some of the settings and delete the Phoenix folder. Reinstall and a new profile is created.

You can replace the booklmarks.html in the new profile with the one in the old folder, saved to your desktop, to get your bookmarks back.
    The cookperm.txt has your saved cookies in it, replace it also, if you like.

I'm not sure if you can use the old userChrome.css (in the chrome folder) in the 0.9 version, but I think you can. You don't need to unless you modified the old one. I changed mine with stuff like "use xp style menus'" and "make the search box flex wider"

You will need to redownload any extensions.
    Tried that, it was suggested at neowin, didn't work.

btw, someone said that 0.9 and 0.8 use different folders for their profiles files anyway

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    I went back and checked the right click menu and, while I have all the options, only the "open" one worked. Open in new window or open in this tab, etc.. none worked. I didn't notice because I seldom use these.

The only problems I've had with firefox before were caused by extensions so I disabled them and restarted firefox. Now all the right click commands work. I enabled all of them and it still works.

If it's not an extension problem, maybe a leftover registry key. Uninstall and run a registry cleaner or manually delete all the mozilla keys. Install and see If that worked, if not, I'm out of guesses... for now.

edit:typo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Jg427@13 June 2004 - 12:03
    I went back and checked the right click menu and, while I have all the options, only the "open" one worked. Open in new window or open in this tab, etc.. none worked. I didn't notice because I seldom use these.

The only problems I've had with firefox before were caused by extensions so I disabled them and restarted firefox. Now all the right click commands work. I enabled all of them and it still works.

If it's not an extension problem, maybe a leftover registry key. Uninstall and run a registry cleaner or manually delete all the mozilla keys. Install and see If that worked, if not, I'm out of guesses... for now.

alright thanks, what is a good registry cleaner that you recomend? i always end up downloading ones that only scan and dont clean, or that wont run unless u pay, stuff liek that.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+13 June 2004 - 15:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 13 June 2004 - 15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jg427@13 June 2004 - 12:03
    I went back and checked the right click menu and, while I have all the options, only the "open" one worked. Open in new window or open in this tab, etc.. none worked. I didn&#39;t notice because I seldom use these.

The only problems I&#39;ve had with firefox before were caused by extensions so I disabled them and restarted firefox. Now all the right click commands work. I enabled all of them and it still works.

If it&#39;s not an extension problem, maybe a leftover registry key. Uninstall and run a registry cleaner or manually delete all the mozilla keys. Install and see If that worked, if not, I&#39;m out of guesses... for now.

alright thanks, what is a good registry cleaner that you recomend? i always end up downloading ones that only scan and dont clean, or that wont run unless u pay, stuff liek that. [/b][/quote]
    You should check out regseeker. Exelent reg cleaner.
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I just manually cleaned it out.

found the problem:

first i started mozilla after reinstalling and cleaning registry, i right clicked, it works, so i then imported my favories, still worked, i customized the toolbars at teh top, sotpped working. i reset it bac to default, now it works again.

wtf?

btw, when i right click a link, the list just shows new folder, cut, copy, propterties. no open in new tab, and that stuff. is this normal?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    You must have ruled out extension conflicts, that was my best guess.

I use jv16 powertools registry cleaner, but it&#39;s no longer free.
    I remember reading a thread with recomendations for a free cleaner, but it may be lost now. Here are a couple of sites with free trials listed and some free ones. Notice that RegSupreme is by the author of jv16 powertools.

http://www.macecraft.com/downloads/
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=15

Edit: Damn, I type too slow.

I have more options, but some may have been added by tabbrowser extensions.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I&#39;ve narrowed this shit down to Alabama&#33;

ok, when i set to default i have a bookmarks toolbar, disabling it is what is causing my problems.

why though? i dont want it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10