Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "normal"

Keikan's Avatar ........
    Those who question what normal is, are not normal
    So it's school time and we have to go into groups to do stuff and the teacher picks the groups so I get joined with the kind of goth/outsider people? Anyways so I ask how come you don't dress "normally" and so she says: "Well then whats normal?"

I had no come back and I've been thinking about that question ever since.

Webster defines normal as "according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle"

What does that mean? or better yet, why would you want to know what normal is? Shouldn't you already know what normal means?

The definition of normal varies among people's opinions but most people should have a good sense of what it is, because most people are "normal". And the people who don't know what normal is, question what it is. Which means you are not normal.

Normal cannot be given in an example because being normal does not paretically mean being the same as everyone else. Which is a common thought on what normal is.

So in conclusion, normal cannot be defined. But who would want to define it?

Disclaimer: This is just an opinion and I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. Lounge   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    lol.

here's one for ya: define "definition." My definition of definition is "This."

Makes sense, no?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Define "thing"
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Couple of more posts like this and off to "World News & Events" with ya all...

You may store post snippets, or any other information you need to hand here

5. Lounge   -   #5

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Normal is what ever you wish normal to be

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    It's quite simple really...

Normal is 'according to the norm'. And the norm is the average of what most people do. That's only a 1st level definition though. Meaning that emotions and subjectivity aren't taken into account. On a second level you can say that normal is a very personal concept. You may have a habit which seems perfectly 'normal' to you (like eating sandwiches with only ketchup for example) but others may think it's abnormal according to their personal norm.
    Sociology states that 'the norm' is just the average of all personal norms. Which is why the opinions about the meaning of normal are quite ambiguous.

EDIT: so scientifically speaking the gots weren't normal, if following the strict definition. Though, they are perfectly normal withing their own 'group'.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Try nornal in a mental home see how far that goes any takers?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I would agree with Slweeky.

Stanardised norms of behaviour and dress vary from culture, country and time and therefore are not subject to an objective standard.

In a Goth club it would be the norm to wear black. If one went dressed in brightly coloured clothes would one would be considered out of place.

What is considered the norm in school dress for girls today (skirt above the knee) would have been considered grossly indecent 100 years ago.

Consequently, "norms" are subject to constant pressure from fashion and trends and those wishing to experiment.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Normal is what most poeple wea say and do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast