Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question About Hacking

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by lynx@14 June 2004 - 21:39
    It depends on how you've been infected (there needs to be some sort of trojan on your pc) and what control that gives them.

In theory they could have total control over your pc without you even knowing they were there. But of course the more they do the greater the chance they will be detected, so most hackers don't have that level of control because they don't need it.
    Damn - Lynx beat me to what I was gonna say

But basically the answer has already been told - What a hacker can/can't see and/or do on your computer depends on what the trojan can do. For example, although lot of keyloggers today records every key typed on an infected computer and transmits it back to the infector's lair (usually an IRC chatroom), there has been a rise recently of keyloggers having a set purpose - The newest purpose is to gain login information of paying accounts on many subscription-based online games, whether its to hijack the account for their own use or clear its goods out completely.

I had a friend who was hacked in this way less than a couple of weeks ago, and I was almost a victim of such an attack a while back (someone posted about an automated trainer, I knew they were being used and I was intrigued so I d/led it to have a look - And found out it had a trojan wrapped around it, designed specifically for this game, to take passwords). The only thing that stopped it happening was that Norton's Auto-Protect :-"

What the hacker can see depends on what the hacker programs its trojan to read, which in turn depends on the coding ability & desire of the hacker. A novice hacker is unlikely to be able to get as much information as a veteran, but in turn the vet may get less if he hasn't got the desire for victims' information as the rookie has.

It's a sad, confusing world

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I was curious because i have read that they can have access to all your files and folders. Then one day at work, the system admin hops on while I am working and takes over

Took me a minute to figure out what was up, when all of a sudden he opened notepad and started talking to me

So I thought that maybe that's what happens when a hacker gets in and browses. I knew they could run things in the background but was curious as to how obvious it is when they are looking around.

Oh, and as a disclaimer... Hello Kitty and Brittany do not have a place on my machine (although no matter what you may think about her, I wouldn't turn her away(Hello Kitty that is:helpsmile: ))

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12