Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question About Hacking

Something that runs through the back of my mind when people are talking about being hacked.

Aside from the methods that hijack your computer and have it do various things in the background such as email, ddos, keylogging and such what does the hacker see?

When people talk about hackers having access to and control over all my files and folders, do they see it from my screen? I don't mean sitting at my comp., but do they see only what is on my desktop at the time?

When I am at work the system admin will log on now and then and I see everything he does. Is hacking like that? Am I at risk of coming home one evening and finding someone browsing all my Britanny Spears photos or (god forbid) deleting all my Kitty Kitty videos?

Or are they doing this without me seeing it at all?

Thanks for any insight.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    Hackers are everywhere and they can do anything with your computer, and by that I mean ANYTHING they want.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yes, but if I am in the room will I see them offing Kitty Kitty? Or will Kitty just dissappear one day?

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    No one with any input on this? Just curious if I can see this happening or if it is all behind the scene.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    they basically can have as much control over your computer as you do.

what does the kitty kitty mean?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Kitty Kitty

Tell me you didn't allready know that

TD

EDIT: I understand they can have the same control, what I am curious about is can I see them doing what they do if they are doing it while I am looking at the screen. I don't wanna walk in the room while some cyber dude is wanking to my pics
    Peace of mind Findnot

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    oh, ok.

i just know it as hello kitty. LOL

edit:

depending on the type of program involved, you may be able to see it in your running processes, or notice a drop in your bandwidth. there are some hacking programs that i'm seeing more and more that are invisible unless you know what you're looking for.

nice visual. but i don't think you will actually see a cyber dude.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    it all depends really.

you will need a rootkit to infect your pc for a hacker to gain full control

these range from full on vnc servers which give them control of keyboard and mouse and a shitty version of your screen to view or just a basic one that just gives you a simple shell or a few buttons to press.

insecure.org has a pretty decent write up on what crackers really get up to might be worth a look.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    So for the most part, what they do is nothing like what my system admin at work can do? As far as how they see it anyway. And they can/will rifle through my stuff without me visually seeing it being done?

Ok, thanks. I will check out that link now.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    It depends on how you've been infected (there needs to be some sort of trojan on your pc) and what control that gives them.

In theory they could have total control over your pc without you even knowing they were there. But of course the more they do the greater the chance they will be detected, so most hackers don't have that level of control because they don't need it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast