Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would This Setup Work?

Recently my ISP (Comcast) made it so we can only have one IP unless we paid for more. Heres the story

I had a hub that was splitting my internet and Comcast was giving out free IPs to the computers connected. Then for some reason, only one thing could be going on the internet at a time. So I called them up and they said they work doing work in my area and it may be cause the problems. Not knowing that they were going to only allow a single IP, I went out and bought a new 8-port hub thinking that was the problem. I get it and find out Im still having the same problem. Wasted $20 but no big ill use it for LAN purposes later. So now im alittle irritated. I call up CC again and they tell me their new policies and told me I had to get a router. What I dont understand it that I went out to purchased additional hardware to split the connection and they dont allow it but they encourage to go out and do it but with a router or spend $6 more a month to get another IP address or 10 more for 4. So me and my friend came to a deal. I would allow him to use my PayPal/eBay account to get a new 802.11g wireless router and I would get his 802.11(i think b ) router for 15.

My question is - could I have this setup

Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Don't connect it that way. What you need to do is connect the router directly to the modem and then add the hub as an uplink from the router.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@14 June 2004 - 08:51
    Don't connect it that way. What you need to do is connect the router directly to the modem and then add the hub as an uplink from the router.
    I know, right now I have it

Modem > Router > Pc's

I wanted to know if that would work cause I wanted to have 1 pc that didnt go through the router.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I don't quite understand. Why do you want to do that? Wouldn't you end up having to pay for an extra IP?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Its proberly becuase pc's are upstares/downstraes so loads wire would be needed otherwise, well my problem was like that but i just got the ebuyer router and works greta i have:

MODEM>>>ROUTER:
    • PC 1
    • HUB>>>PC2/PC3

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Still the same amout of wire needed.

Modem>router>hub>computers. Uses only one IP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I didnt want to have that one going through the router cause of port problems. Some program I need to use I dont know what ports they try to use so I cant forward.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@14 June 2004 - 18:32
    Still the same amout of wire needed.

Modem>router>hub>computers. Uses only one IP.
    Yeah thats what i ahve now, works great. non need rto install anytyhing either, just plug in cable after a fresh format and it werks fine .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@14 June 2004 - 12:33
    I didnt want to have that one going through the router cause of port problems. Some program I need to use I dont know what ports they try to use so I cant forward.
    Solve that port forwarding problem instead of paying for an extra IP,

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I wanted to know if I had to if I used that setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast