Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norton Antivirus 2004 Worth Getting?

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @ white rook
    First time my age was a benefit to me...I can't hardly wait for the senior discounts at Denny's!!

Right behind you, old poop . B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I hane 2004 no problems here and does not hog or drag my pc down well works for me and thats all that matters

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Joakim Agren's Avatar Superman loves P2P
    Originally posted by whiterook-2@15 June 2004 - 07:43
    I actually 'purchased' the Norton 2004. Installed it, and found it slows down about every program I have.  It seems any time you manipulate a program, Norton needs to run a virus check first and then allows your command to function.

So, I took it back to Comp USA to get my refund, (figured I would just phone in a update for my 2003) the little puppy at the counter asked me what the problem was. I told her it wasn't compatible w/ my programs....she gave me a look over and figured I was too old to know that once the program was installed, and registered, it was mine, regardless. She gave me the whole refund... hahahaa

Anyway, I wouldn't upgrade to Norton 2004 even if it's free.
    I still have it running, and put up with the annoyance of my slowed programs.

First time my age was a benefit to me...I can't hardly wait for the senior discounts at Denny's!!
    Hello!

This is "THE" greatest critic against NAV 2004 that it really slows down the computer even if it is a new one. However it later turned out that it was a stupid setting in NAV 2004 that caused it. Open up NAV from the messages field go into Options and under the Auto Protect settings>Which Files To Scan For Viruses here disable the Scan Within Compressed Files. Then click the OK button and youre done. Just Re-start your computer for the changes to take effect. Now your apps should work much faster and the presence of NAV should hardly gets noticed atleast not if you are running XP and have a fairly recent computer.

The disadvantage of this option beeing disabled are ofcourse that you dont get compressed files scanned automatically during download so before you open those in the future you should make it a habit of right clicking them and select scan for viruses and NAV will check em out.

Sincerely Joakim Agren!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    get something like AVG, thats legally free (actually probably the only legal software on my comp ), works just as fine, and uses less resources.....

or go with some of the others mentioned above
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Based on what you all said, I counted em and got these stats:

panda - Works: 1, Doesnt Work: 0
    Nod32 - Works: 1, Doesnt Work: 0
    Kaspersky - Works: 1, Doesnt Work: 0
    Nav2004 - Works: 1, Doesnt Work:5
    AVG - Works: 1, Doesnt Work: 0

still cant figure which one to choose.
    What about Trend Micro? I heard of that and saw it on emule also.. not sure how good it is though..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    herewell there is a guide on AV's

btw, dont get me wrong, im not saying norton doesnt work, it works fine...... actually its one of the best AV's out...... the only problem is that it hogs resources.....

if you can (or are willing to) sacrifice that for top performance, go with norton....... however, there are AV's that work like 99% as good as norton @ 50% of the resources........ i myself am not willing to sacrifice that much power for that lil increase in security, but thats for everyone themselves to decide.......
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yea.. the best things require the most power.

I wonder if I combine Norton AV and AVG.. would that be ok? or would they go insane such as a homosexual man forced to live with a lesbian woman whom both only like they're own sex and only look like they're own sex.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    dont be too perinoid of security
    - 1 firewall is good than enough! likey if you have 2 firewall walls it would really give alot of problems if 2 firwalls mix together it won't stack the protection.

- Don't worry about your port-forwarding and disabling it, okay goto port-trigger if you can find it in your menu of your router and if you do type the exact ports in/out in one line in the port-triggering. If you don't know what port-triggering does Il tell you. Port-trigger is for example if you dont use it as much as often like p2p programs port-forward it and trigger it to so everytime you start the program it will unblock the port and use the program without having to disable or enable it again and when your done with the program it automatically blocks the port that you used for the p2p program. So everytime you want to use emule it unblock the port and if your not using emule it will automatically blocks the port for you.

Oh about norton I think norton is good for myself I use NAV2004PRO dont get systemworks or interent security there a bunch of useless programs when the only program you need is an anti-virus. It only displays 2 in my process tree it aint a ram hog if you use 2004pro and dont forget to turn off sav scan beucase that thing that norton put out for 2004 is very annoying, it automatically scans everyfile you downloaded off the net and it lags your computer baddly.

But up to you, your choice, your decision.
    sorry for the grammar.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'><span style='font-familyptima'>&gt;&gt;FORUM&lt;&lt;</span></span></span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    baccyman's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    i used to have avg pro. but it was missing some of the netsky variations so i changed to panda titanium . no problems since.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    No need to update every year. Wait on 2005, you&#39;ll be fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast