Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got Caught Downloading! How? Zonealarm?

Poster
    what would you do??
    Emigrate!

If he were using an anonymous proxy server such as anonx, wouldn't that help since the data is encrypted and the IP is that of the proxy?
    Anything encrypted can be decrypted - its a lot of trouble and probably not worth the bother unless you are using a commercial encryption system that is as watertight as the Titanic!
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by javelinmansst@16 June 2004 - 00:15
    i recieved a similar message from mediacom high speed internet(mchsi)
    its my service provider.
    the first time it was in Email form that told me to delete the file in 24 hrs or THEY will . and talked more about sharing files on a peer to peer network than downloading files.
    i wrote about this in general filesharing talk under the topic "busted"
    well, just recently they got me again for the movie walking tall.
    they had my port # the file name , user name etc.
    this time they shut me down and sent the message to me in writing.
    I had to sign it to show that i had recieved it and send it back and they turned me back on in 48 hrs.
    they said next time i will be cut off permanant and could face criminal charges.
    blah blah blah

they told me i could get the name of the person or group that informed on me if i filled out some consent form .
    basically -they said if i give them complete access to my harddrive and let them give my name and address to local authorities-they would give me info on who turned me in.
    their argument is that if im not guilty of anything then i shouldnt worry about filling out the form.
    any way Im still downloading
    just not sharing
    I know , I know, I should share. but I dont want to get cut off again.
    what would you do??
    Please don't download any files off me, as I don't like it when people do that without sharing anything themselves.

If I was you, I would avoid using bittorrent for movies as it's unsafe, and use the bad ip blocker in k-lite. Don't let people browse your folder, and then you should be safer.
    Did you take any of these precautions?

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Wouldnt BitTorrent with protowall be the same thing as kazaa with the bad ip blocker???

I used to think kazaa was safer, but go figure I get caught using kazaa not BT.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    The reason I say BitTorrent is more unsafe than other p2p programs is because everyone on that tracker can see what you are downloading and uploading, especially because it uploads parts of files even before the download is complete. A film company could easily join the tracker and see what everyone else is sharing.
    That's what I mean.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    James Bond Rulez,
    I know you have been an advocate for anonx. What's your opinion about it's use in this situation? It's uses commercial grade encryption doesn't it?

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    AnonX uses some of latest encryption technologies. We use mppe-128 stateless encryption between end-users and the gateways. Then AnonX rescraples the pipe again between gateway and proxies using a propritery encryption similar to a stateless 2048 bit blowfish.

If an internert users is worried about his security and anonomity he should use a comerical proxy service. AnonX is jsut one that has started up in the last year and support many style of internet connections. AnonX can brag that it is one of the largest proxy services that supports p2p.

If you are shopping for a proxy service look for
    1. The service is well established.
    2. Offers a trail offer, so that you can verify performance and test the connection with products like Shields-Up at ww.grc.com (Gibson Research Center)
    3. They offer a known and secure payment method.

AnonX has signed up new users that where discuessed with performance of other proxy services and even complaints that some where no more than a SCAM to gather credit card information.

There has been internet company (like hiddenconnect) that set up a shell to look like AnonX. They offer now support. They even copied our end-users agreement and forgot to strip out refrences to AnonX.

I am plugging proxies services in general. If you choose another service other than AnonX and it works for you great! If it doesn't meet your expection try AnonXx or look around on the internet. There are many postive reviews of the AnonX service from users.

--AnonX O

and use a known and trusted paypment method. AnonX has recieved emails from users of other so-called "proxy privacy companies" that were nothing more that a scam to retrieve credit card infomration.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by jack7777766@17 June 2004 - 01:19
    Wouldnt BitTorrent with protowall be the same thing as kazaa with the bad ip blocker???

I used to think kazaa was safer, but go figure I get caught using kazaa not BT.
    Comcast owns AT&T high speed internet....i got caught two times before i realized that this fuckers where scanning my computer to find illegal downloaded movies....if i was you i dump AT&T and go for anything ells that is round available in your era.

i canceled my Comcast for for a better ISP that doesn't bother me at all...i have been downloading 24/7 now and no complains from my ISP.

and why the hell are you using Kazaa? you are one step closer to a law suit..

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    Great information, thank-you.

About the sharing though, you can't just say !@#$ sharing, I do understand where your coming from so why don't you share some other type of downloadable media other than movies?

I currently have the last 20 years of primetime television available for all on my hard drive.........yeah right!!

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    cant the companys just read all of these things and find out whether u are downloading or not

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    You know, thats just messed up if they scan your harddrive. I mean, yea sure they could probably see all the network info going around, but harddrive scanning??? Talk about privacy.... You swear the government had nothing to hide

So even with a hardware firewall (router) and a software firewall (zonealarm) and IP blocker (Protowall) people are still getting caught? DAMNIT!!! Freaken ComCast and AT&T!!!! People are paying for their service and they turn around and stab them in the back..... freaken morons. Like they dont download stuff....
    Does anyone know if people got caught using SBC Yahoo DSL? Thats what i use... I know ComCast sucks ass, but i dont know about SBC Yahoo DSL.....

And about those Proxies. I suppose they are good. But the only problem is if you want one free, its hard to find a really annomus proxie with good speeds. I found alot of slow ones. And, when you use a proxie, the HOSTS file is bypassed, which sucks since i use it to block ads and stuff..
    blah blah blah... whatever...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast